MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to Change Subscribe Default?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi, right now the default is "Do not subscribe to this thread". How do I change the default to either of these:

Subscribe without receiving email notification of new replies
Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies

Also, if you subscribe without receiving email notification, what does that mean (I thought unsubscribed just meant that you don't receive email notifications, and subscribed, you do.)?
You can choose to not subscribe at all, subscribe with no notification (just turns the thread name bold in your list of subscribed threads in your UCP) or have email subscription.

Which do you want to set the default to?? It needs a hidden option, and if you can can say which one you want, I'll give you the code and the template changes.
Hi Matt,

OK I choose email notification. It might get annoying eventually, and right now I have to think of ways to get discussion going!

Thanks,

Tink
Ok, I believe this is what you need to do... in the member_register template, find:

<tr>
<td colspan="2"><span class="smalltext"><label for="subscriptionmethod">{$lang->subscription_method}</label></span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="2">
	<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
		<option value="0" {$no_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_auto_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="1" {$no_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_email_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>
	</select>
</td>
</tr>

and in the usercp_options template, find:

<tr>
<td colspan="2"><span class="smalltext"><label for="subscriptionmethod">{$lang->subscription_method}</label></span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="2">
	<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
		<option value="0" {$no_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_auto_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="1" {$no_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_email_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>
	</select>
</td>
</tr>

and replace both of these chunks of code with this:

<input type="hidden" name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod" value="2">

And then in phpMyAdmin, run this:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `subscriptionmethod` = '2'

So that removes the options where it's possible to change it, make it so people submit the option of email subscription without knowing, and then make sure all current users are set on that.

Smile
Hi I OK I did the first two parts. Where do I find phpMyAdmin?
Your Cpanel, it should be in there somewhere.
That'll be in your host control panel, could be called something else... or you may not have access to it, but if that's the case, as soon as someone saves their options in their UserCP, the setting will get changed.
"...as soon as someone saves their options in their UserCP, the setting will get changed."

What does this mean? As soon as a member saves what options?

Will it work if I create a new thread but not as a reply on the old threads?
No, the hidden field that you've added is in the UserCP options, so the next time they save those options, it'll submit the setting to subscribe to all threads by email. Running the SQL query will also make sure they're all subscribed via email.
Hi, it's still not working. Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5