MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Severe Weather!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
While I was at work in a metal facility surrounded by glass winders (aka windows), a severe thunderstorm went through. It was so intense that when I tried to open the door, to run to my truck and get my video camera, the wind threw me around a bit and I am 6'5" and 210 LBS!!! Plus the rain was so heavy, I just went back inside. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Anyways, it turned into a tornado minutes later! And they wouldn't let me go chase it Sad Ive been chasing storm since age 13 and been a storm spotter (www.skywarn.org) for about 6 or 7 years now.

What do you all think about tornadoes and other severe weather???
Interesting stuff about severe weather, but hurricanes are more dangerous then tornadoes but, i always did my school projects on severe weather and stuff like that.
Actually tornadoes are more dangerous than hurricanes. hurricanes break up once they hit land, tornadoes can happen anywhere...land or water...mountain or plain...

Wanna hear the coolest tornado siren I have heard???? :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIDXV0e3uLI
(2009-04-03, 05:52 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]Actually tornadoes are more dangerous than hurricanes. hurricanes break up once they hit land, tornadoes can happen anywhere...land or water...mountain or plain...

Ever live in Florida? I wish they broke up when they hit land, and even if they don't hit us you still have to fight to get to a gas pump. Sad
(2009-04-03, 05:52 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]Actually tornadoes are more dangerous than hurricanes. hurricanes break up once they hit land, tornadoes can happen anywhere...land or water...mountain or plain...

This is assuming ofcourse if the Tornado hits you directly. Hurricanes can be as deadly ( especially a cat 3 and higher ) if not more deadlier then a tornado and most certainly more destructive because of hurricanes covering more area wherever they hit. Not only have to contend with the wind but as well the battering waves/coastal flooding/Inland flooding and not to mention typically Hurricanes/Tropical systems tend to bring severe weather tornadoes with them as well. I use to live right on the coast ( MD/DE ) and after seing what happend to MS/New Orleans ( Katrina ) and then the TX/LA coast last year i much prefer to take my chances here with a possible tornado.

As for the sirens the ones here basically suck but do get your attention. Never heard one till i moved out this way to Michigan and now have heard it countless times. Thankfully no touchdowns here.
(2009-04-03, 10:08 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]

Ever live in Florida? I wish they broke up when they hit land, and even if they don't hit us you still have to fight to get to a gas pump. Sad

Well he is kind of right. Hurricanes break up when they hit land after like a week...
True, but it barely takes a day to get across Florida. Big Grin
That sucks about the sirens. When I was an emergency management agency coordinator for a small town, I tried to set up a good warning siren system. We had whelan sirens donated to us, i had the blueprints where to set them up and the grant from FEMA but the city was too lazy... for that I resigned. I dont even like to admit I lived there anymore because of the lack of community effort. So I just stick to being a county storm spotter now.

(2009-04-04, 10:39 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]

This is assuming ofcourse if the Tornado hits you directly. Hurricanes can be as deadly ( especially a cat 3 and higher ) if not more deadlier then a tornado and most certainly more destructive because of hurricanes covering more area wherever they hit. Not only have to contend with the wind but as well the battering waves/coastal flooding/Inland flooding and not to mention typically Hurricanes/Tropical systems tend to bring severe weather tornadoes with them as well. I use to live right on the coast ( MD/DE ) and after seing what happend to MS/New Orleans ( Katrina ) and then the TX/LA coast last year i much prefer to take my chances here with a possible tornado.

As for the sirens the ones here basically suck but do get your attention. Never heard one till i moved out this way to Michigan and now have heard it countless times. Thankfully no touchdowns here.
The town I live in has some CD sirens, which is somewhat weird since we're the only town I've seen south of Austin that has them. They're mostly used for flooding though, since that's a lot more common than tornadoes.

We did have a tornado jump over our house once, and I didn't even know. It was only the next morning when I saw that all of the trees on one side of my house were bent and broken one way and all of the trees on the other side were bent and broken in the opposite direction that I began to suspect (the newspaper confirmed it). Fortunately my 200 year old house is built like a rock, and so all that happened was some of the roofing tile blew off.
Speaking of severe weather. We are under a tornado watch here in southern IL. There is a strong line of storms getting ready to hit us, just heavy rain, windy and thunder right now.
Pages: 1 2 3