MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A full guide of how to start the basics of your forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello all,

As other thread describes installing MyBB, i'm gonna describe��starting the basics of the forum, like making the Categories, Forums, Subforum, choosing a mod for a sepecific forum, editing a forum etc...

Ok after installing your board successfuly, and deleting the ./install folder, you will be able to view you forums.

as default the forum will have 1 catergory and 1 forum.

[Image: 1.JPG]

Now you will have to customize it, adding categories you want with their Description. So point to Admin CP > Manage forums

[Image: 2.JPG]

Setting a category

Click on Create New Forum

Now i will describe each thing by the number specified beside it.

[Image: 3.JPG]

(1) - is the name of the Category.
(2) - The describtion of the category, i dont recommend it for a category, but for a forum it's crutial.
(3) - If you like your members to be redierected to a specific site, you can put its URL here.
(4) - The order in the main page now set it to 1 , coz u will have to arrange them later when your done from all the forums.
(5) - Now as this is a category we are not gonna set a parent forum, this is used for forums and subforums.

[Image: 4.JPG]

(6) - You can assign a password for some categories or forums, so only few people can have access to it.
(7) - Here it's very important!!, you should set it toNO, so it will act as a category.
(8) - As you want it active, and you want to work with it, set it to YES, coz without it, it will not appear.
(9) - This also should be YES as you it people to post in it, you can use this when u wanna stop a forum, or a category one day.
(10) (11) (12) - If you set this to YES you will have to approve each thread of post or attachment. So it's common to put it NO.
(13) - This will allow you to select a specific theme for the undergoing category or forum. You will use this is you dont want to use the Default theme to be used in here.
(14) - this will display a dropdown box, so members, can choose a theme, of their preferrer.

[Image: 5.JPG]

(15) - In case you want to display rules in the forum, or category, you will have to put Display Rules.
(16) - Put a title.
(17) - and add your rules.
(18) - Allowing HTML is a little bit not recommended, coz any member with a basic knwoledge of html may change the whole look of the page, he can customize it the way he want, just like you customize your MYSPACE page.
(19) - As shown, no need for more description��these will be allowed or not depending on you( Post icon, is a little emoticon that you choose with composing, and it will be place beside the thread title in the listing).
(20) - in some cases you dont want posts which are posts in a specific forum or category to be added to the posters' posts total, so here you can select whether yes or no.

[Image: 6.JPG]

Here, are the permissions.
as they are shown, leaving them is the best case, but sometimes u may need to change them.

Now click Add forum.

The category will be added to the main page of forum managment.

Adding forums / subforums

Now you will have to add forums to the category.
Click on Add Child Forum

the consept is that a category is the parent of the forum which is ths child , and the forum is the parent of the subforum which is the child.

I tried to add the photos again but i have reached the max.

Now i will describe each thing by the number specified beside it.

as photo above

(1) - is the name of the forum.
(2) - The describtion of the forum.
(3) - If you like your members to be redierected to a specific site, you can put its URL here.
(4) - The order in the main page now set it to 1 , coz u will have to arrange them later when your done from all the forums.
(5) - As you have clicked ont the add child forum from the button beside the category, this will be set automaticly, changing it will only happen if you dont like to add it the selected parent.

as photo above

(6) - You can assign a password for some forums, so only few people can have access to it.
(7) - Here it's very important!!, you should set it toYES, so it will act as a forum.

now the rest are just like mentioned above.

Sorting the forums and categories
Beside the delete button there are numbers, changing this will change the arrangment of the categories or forums depending on the number you put.

[Image: 9.JPG]

ok as u see the photo the category is set to 1, so this will be the 1st category, if there was another category and i set this to 2. then it will be the 2nd.
Now i have also put 2 beside the 1st forum, so when i click Update forum order, this will become the 2nd instead of the 1st.
this is used for later on when u have lots of categories, then arranging it will be just a matter of seconds.

Adding subforums

Find the button subforums/ moderators, click it.

[Image: 8.JPG]

Click add child forum

and the process goes as aboce.

You can use another way, which is going the same way as we did for a forum, but in the parent, select the forum to be the parent of that subforum ur making.

Deleting a category or forum

Beside each forum or category a button called delete, click on it

then click yes.

Adding moderators

Find the button subforums/ moderators, click it.

[Image: 8.JPG]

click add moderator

[Image: 10.JPG]

here u will specify the user name, and the forum or category he will be moderating, and his permissions, it's so clear.

Well at least this is my review.

hope it will help those guys on MyBB.

Best Regards

* I tried to have as possible screenshot for each step but i couldn't max photos per post is 10.
Very nice job zaher1988 this is a very good tutorial on how to create a message board.

Nice job!

*should be stickyed
Thank you for the great tutorial post. I'm very new to web programming, but this part of setting up my new forum now seems simple.
good stuff. really help me
I'm sorry, but forums just don't go up for me. http://www.twistedportal.com/forum/ -- Click on 'Main' and you'll see two forums come up. How do I get those forums to appear under Main on the main forum page?

I'm not retarded or anything, but damn I must be missing something here. I've used a ton of forums before and never ran into this problem. I must be missing something. Sad
That's not your only problem either. Your collapse/expand buttons don't appear to be working either!
You seems to be using a old theme on a newer version of MyBB. Alot has been changed so I suggest you use the default theme and make a theme on top of that.
judel Wrote:That's not your only problem either. Your collapse/expand buttons don't appear to be working either!

Damn. XD

CraKteR Wrote:You seems to be using a old theme on a newer version of MyBB. Alot has been changed so I suggest you use the default theme and make a theme on top of that.

Oh, I see. Woops. Thank you.
How in the bajesus do you change the background pic. I recently aquired a site and I can't get ahold of the former owner to ask her.
kyla°firefly Wrote:How in the bajesus do you change the background pic. I recently aquired a site and I can't get ahold of the former owner to ask her.
Do you mean the background image of each forum row in the list? well this should be done in the themes manager.

If this was not the case...please elaborate more.
Pages: 1 2 3