MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smoother Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Well, you have search & replace as a built in feature which takes care of the templates, copy & paste the stylesheets into WordPad, Ctrl + H to do a replace, and the rest is just a few JS changes for the fancy stuff.

Then you just replace the images with PNGs.

Personally I don't see why you would want to put off something like this until 2.0, which will make a lot of people happy, when 2.0 might not come for another 2-3 years. Realistically speaking, the only reason GIFs are still used in web design is because of IE 6, which isn't supported by a lot of big websites nowadays anyways.

Unless there's something I'm missing. I'd be happy to convert MyBB to PNG images if the dev team isn't going to for a long while yet, after all I do use a lot of PNGs anyways.
(2009-08-19, 08:06 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you have search & replace as a built in feature which takes care of the templates, copy & paste the stylesheets into WordPad, Ctrl + H to do a replace, and the rest is just a few JS changes for the fancy stuff.

If only it were actually that easy.

(2009-08-19, 08:06 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I don't see why you would want to put off something like this until 2.0, which will make a lot of people happy, when 2.0 might not come for another 2-3 years. Realistically speaking, the only reason GIFs are still used in web design is because of IE 6, which isn't supported by a lot of big websites nowadays anyways.

Isn't supported by a lot of big websites? Where are your statistics?
It may be relatively simple to physically change .gif to .png in the templates and CSS but then all theme images would need to be redone... a lot of themes use the default templates with just changed CSS, if all the templates are then looking for .pngs all the images would need to be made again, or changed to .pngs.... at least that's the problem I see with doing it now.
(2009-08-19, 08:27 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-19, 08:06 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you have search & replace as a built in feature which takes care of the templates, copy & paste the stylesheets into WordPad, Ctrl + H to do a replace, and the rest is just a few JS changes for the fancy stuff.

(2009-08-19, 08:06 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I don't see why you would want to put off something like this until 2.0, which will make a lot of people happy, when 2.0 might not come for another 2-3 years. Realistically speaking, the only reason GIFs are still used in web design is because of IE 6, which isn't supported by a lot of big websites nowadays anyways.

Smile

http://techgeist.net/2009/07/youtube-far...-explorer/
(2009-08-19, 09:54 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-19, 08:27 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]

Smile

I dont think thats not what he was asking for. That has very little to do with use of gif's. Despite that there is still alot of sites using gif's. Smile
(2009-08-19, 09:54 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Smile

Only one site? I need to see tens of thousands, at minimum before I would consider "which isn't supported by a lot of big websites nowadays anyways." even remotely close to a true statement.
I have tried with all my will to edit ALL needed files to make am all png forum. I pretty much say, try, in with your method, so many templates and CSS edits you will be put with, to the point that you might break your head figuring out. Setsou is mostly made with png, but I gave up at one point.
http://idroppedie6.com/

A decent list Smile

Also Twitter and i also heard Facebook rumours. (Unsure of facebook, but i know twitter)
(2009-08-19, 08:27 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't supported by a lot of big websites? Where are your statistics?

YouTube, Windows Live, Facebook, Twitter. Correct me if I am wrong, but all of those websites are indeed using PNG images over GIFs where possible. Don't get me wrong, GIFs have their place. However you lose nothing if you switch to PNGs, at least for the icons. When your using transparency it's almost always easier and better looking to just stick with PNGs.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to change this for 1.6. My statement is not perfect, because there are still a lot of websites using GIFs, however for YouTube to drop it it's relatively significant.

Hell, even this website uses PNG images. And I don't think you can argue that it might even look remotely close to the same way if you had to use GIFs instead.

PNG is just a better solution.
(2009-08-20, 02:52 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see why you wouldn't want to change this for 1.6. My statement is not perfect, because there are still a lot of websites using GIFs, however for YouTube to drop it it's relatively significant.

Hell, even this website uses PNG images. And I don't think you can argue that it might even look remotely close to the same way if you had to use GIFs instead.

PNG is just a better solution.

I have not stated that PNG isn't better, but I have said before and I will say again that we don't want to make all of those changes for MyBB 1.6. We want MyBB 1.4 themes to be essentially compatible with MyBB 1.6. Same with plugins. If we start changing things, then you've just caused a lot of unnecessary time and trouble for people.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6