MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smoother Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just because a bunch of social networking sites drop IE6 doesn't mean the rest of the internet does. For one, a lot of people use the internet for other purposes than social networking, and a forum doesn't necessarily connect with it either.

A lot of computers still have IE6 and you really can't drop it.

Other than that, a dirty hack is to just save your PNGs as .gif. All browsers I've seen are smart enough to figure out what to do.
Hate to point this out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8196242.stm

IE6 is here until at least 2014. You're forgetting that there's over 55% of businesses still using this thing, regardless of whether social networking sites ditch it. The only reason why they're ditching it is so they can out-do each other with their fancy-pants javascript.
If someone wants to change all GIF to PNG I see no problem by doing it self. It's just a simple search an replace.
There are bigger issues than such a minimalistic "problem"... Rolleyes

Just my2cent.
Quote:Other than that, a dirty hack is to just save your PNGs as .gif. All browsers I've seen are smart enough to figure out what to do.

And that's exactly what I do, however it's a stupid workaround for something that could be done better.

Ryan, how are they supposed to work with 1.6 if it's a feature release? Modifications to themes are going to be necessary anyways...

I guess it doesn't really matter what I say or do here, so I'll either have to wait until 2.0 or just make the changes myself, or just not even bother with it at all.
(2009-08-20, 01:06 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Ryan, how are they supposed to work with 1.6 if it's a feature release? Modifications to themes are going to be necessary anyways...

That's not true. If you start to introduce changes into the framework or system then yes, that becomes true. We have not done that however and have no plans to for 1.6.
I was under the impression that 1.6 was a feature release, meaning 1.6 will include new features, and in turn meaning theme modifications will be necessary to utilize these new features.
(2009-08-20, 03:10 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I was under the impression that 1.6 was a feature release, meaning 1.6 will include new features, and in turn meaning theme modifications will be necessary to utilize these new features.

#1) Template changes are "minimal". Many are "new" templates. You don't need to make modifications for a template that has never existed before
#2) The upgrader automatically updates templates that haven't been modified. Most themes don't modify many templates.
#3) Changing from .gif to .png will change hundreds of templates. That will be way more then just adding new features. Also, it modifies the stylesheets majorly which is more of the problem then the others. So its simply not worth it. Why make theme developers go through the hassle twice of making them make huge changes to their themes for 1.6 and then again for 2.0. Seems like wasted time to me, when it can be easily avoided.

Ryan
(2009-08-20, 03:21 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]I have not stated that PNG isn't better, but I have said before and I will say again that we don't want to make all of those changes for MyBB 1.6. We want MyBB 1.4 themes to be essentially compatible with MyBB 1.6. Same with plugins. If we start changing things, then you've just caused a lot of unnecessary time and trouble for people.

"Never put off tomorrow what you can do today." - Thomas Jefferson

Sounds to me like laziness.
No, it's about keeping compatibility of the 1.x series the same.
(2009-08-23, 11:45 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-20, 03:21 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]I have not stated that PNG isn't better, but I have said before and I will say again that we don't want to make all of those changes for MyBB 1.6. We want MyBB 1.4 themes to be essentially compatible with MyBB 1.6. Same with plugins. If we start changing things, then you've just caused a lot of unnecessary time and trouble for people.

"Never put off tomorrow what you can do today." - Thomas Jefferson

Sounds to me like laziness.

I have to agree with Ryan here though as MyBB 1.6 won't be a huge update only a finetuned 1.4 I don't see the need for this many template changes, and thus having to update every single theme out there now (they will anyways but with not that many changes).
As MyBB 2.0 is in mind already now this should be a 2.0 priority as it will feature a new theme (as I've heard).

I'm all for changing to PNG though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6