MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What's the lowest amount of RAM for a VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
lol

Imagine having a VPS on a VPS on a VPS Toungue

I'd probably say 64MB as long as the OS doesn't have a GUI :s
^ Windows 95 worked fine on less than 64MB and it had a GUI.
Yes, You Can Run 18 Sites on a 64MB Link-1 VPS..
This tutorial mentions "static" sites in the actual title, then he "goes nuts" and uses Wordpress...

...It simply cannot be possible on a 64MB VPS, the WHT crowd says! Grrr!! Let’s give it a try...
Big Grin
(2009-08-25, 12:31 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I am looking into providing free VPSs and am trying to find the lowest, usable amount of RAM and working from there. Wink I know that Lighttpd only needs about 15MB to run.

I love you. pm'd
The only problem I foresee is that my hardware node is running a 64bit kernel which means that all VPSs inherit this architecture and we all know 64bit OSes use more RAM than 32bit so that's already against me (although it is possible to run a 32bit VPS on a 64bit node I have encountered numerous compatibility issues with many scripts). Sad
A 32bit OS running on a 64bit host theoretically should NOT give any compatibility issues. Especially the case with scripts as they don't even care about the underlying kernel...
Well if you want to run a server that includes a cPanel and that doesn't crash every day I suggest not going under 384MB but really want a good server get 2-4GB Wink.
(2009-08-25, 10:25 PM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]A 32bit OS running on a 64bit host theoretically should NOT give any compatibility issues. Especially the case with scripts as they don't even care about the underlying kernel...
cPanel does not work on a 32bit CentOS using a 64bit kernel. I've read other scripts having compatibility issues because of yum. If you have a 32bit OS running on a 64bit kernel you have to edit your yum repositories because they attempt to grab the x86_64 packages which do not work, but even after overriding the repositories some scripts like cPanel check the kernel for the architecture and will not allow you to install 32bit packages on a 64bit kernel. Of course, cPanel will not run on a 64MB VPS, but other scripts have the same issue.

(2009-08-25, 10:29 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you want to run a server that includes a cPanel and that doesn't crash every day I suggest not going under 384MB but really want a good server get 2-4GB Wink.
Considering this thread has nothing to do with cPanel I don't see how it matters. Also, you can host over 1000 cPanel account with a 1.6GHz CPU and less than 1GB of RAM. Wink
True but if you are buying a VPS than you are buying a VPS for a reason. Usually the reason is when people buy a VPS is because they run a big website that uses a lot of resources. If you are hosting a simple HTML, CSS, JS (AJAX) or whatever website than a 1GB space and 20GB BW is enough.
Have you actually read through the thread?

He's not buying or selling VPSs. He's going to be providing free small ones for people who need to something they usually can't in a shared enviroment. This doesn't necessarily mean a large amount of resources are needed but maybe a php setting or something.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6