MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Someone at work installed Debian on their new laptop today, did look nice.
catfished, you must have one hell of a biased opinion. I'm running every steam game, mmo, windows application that I had on my Vista PC now on my Linux PC.

Did you have a short-temper? Did you get frustrated easily? Not all stuff works with simple clicks.
(2009-10-13, 08:12 PM)btraill Wrote: [ -> ]catfished, you must have one hell of a biased opinion. I'm running every steam game, mmo, windows application that I had on my Vista PC now on my Linux PC.

Did you have a short-temper? Did you get frustrated easily? Not all stuff works with simple clicks.

Are you doing all this in Ubuntu or some other distro?

I spent a reasonable amount of time trying to get WINE to run Windoze programs and the only Windoze program it would run is Notepad.

And yes I get frustrated easily and have a fairly short temper (almost flamed you for your comments:-) but I kept trying WINE and coming back later (did this several times) but still got nowhere. In fairness, I'm quite a bit below most of you in technical knowledge and experience so most things I undertake are more of a scary adventure than a fun learning experience. Perhaps more and simpler instructions would be helpful for people like me.Huh

PS: I just noticed you're a troller so I assume I was snagged by your fricken net, very funny.....NOT!
Catfish did you use Winetricks to install the appropriate plugins (i needed to do that Toungue)
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

I'm using the generic Wine download, no addons, nothing special.

I have not had one problem, *yet*.
(2009-10-13, 10:32 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Catfish did you use Winetricks to install the appropriate plugins (i needed to do that Toungue)

Thanks but I never even heard of Winetricks, I suppose I could find it in a few seconds by googling it. I tried this stuff several months ago (possibly a year or more) when I first installed Ubuntu. Since then I haven't done anything except use Ubuntu strictly for surfing the net and Windoze for my work. Thanks for the suggestion though, perhaps I will look into Winetricks one of these days.

PS: I found all sorts of links for Winetricks via Google, thanks again T0m.
Wine Doors is another popular one, but i never tried it, so i can't comment on it...
Or you can test the Crossover to emulate some windows apps better.
Im starting to not like somethings about it, like how you have to remove ubuntu-desktop to remove the OpenOffice software. Rolleyes

I also don't care for ubufox.

Im thinking of using LFS, or a type of BSD.
I've heard good things about gentoo.
I got Debian 5 on a remote server and Debain "squeeze" (testing) on the home server though thinking of reverting back to Debian 5 on the home server since the testing version gets updates nearly everyday and everytime theres an update, it ends up breaking dependencies and I have to go round fixing things Sad

Agreed, one needs patience with Linux, especially users moving over from windows who are used to point and click without necessarily reading what they are clicking yes to Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4