MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I ran linux Mint as my sole OS for about 5 months. Unfortunately I needed to use some Windows Only CAD software that I couldn't find a suitable linux alternative for so I got a new laptop instead with 4gig ram and a 2.8 Core 2 duo so I couldn't really justify using linux any more. All compatibility and software issues aside though it would be my OS of choice hands down.
Faster boot speed too...
Linux is amazing for Servers/Hosting but I am afraid it will never become something like Windows or Mac since they can not organize their selfs due to the open source license. I know that some websites like Ubuntu and LinuxFund are trying to achieve a strong Fund/Group but it will never happen. They just cant be like Windows or Mac unless the open source license will go off which no one wants since than it's not Linux anymore.

I haven't tried Ubuntu 9.0.4 but I heard some promising thinks about it and will test it soon Wink.
No need try 9.10, will be out in a few days. And of course they can do it with the license, it just needs Wine to work a little better.
Wine is not that great Sad, but OK I will wait for 9.10 Wink.
Which is my point. If Wine gets perfected, people will move to linux.
(2009-10-23, 12:48 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Which is my point. If Wine gets perfected, people will move to linux.

Using wine defeats the purpose of linux. As soon as software and hardware companies both support linux I'll gladly switch.
Yea the whole point of Linux was so that we do not have to pay for any software -_-. As NetSage set if everyone will switch to Linux because Wine works perfectly than Microsoft and other companies can still make money off Linux.

But it doesn't really matter since Ubuntu is working on a "Software Store" were users can upload their programs/software and were people can buy it and download it to their computer (sort of like the iTunes store Wink).
(2009-10-23, 01:02 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-23, 12:48 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Which is my point. If Wine gets perfected, people will move to linux.

Using wine defeats the purpose of linux. As soon as software and hardware companies both support linux I'll gladly switch.

Price of Windows. Wink
If the Linux community ever gets off of their butts and creates a stable driver API instead of basically forcing the hardware companies to rewrite their drivers every kernel release I think that Linux will do much better. As it is now you basically have no choice but to either do that, or release all of your trade secrets for your competitors to see, which is unfortunately what the Linux community wants.

Once there's better hardware support, more people will use Linux. Once more people use Linux, there will be more software support. Once there's more software support, more people will use Linux. Once more people use Linux, there will be more hardware support. It's a vicious cycle.

[offtopic]
Most of the Linux community needs to learn that the for-profit companies are here to stay. Once they can accept that I think they'll be much better off.[/offtopic]
Pages: 1 2 3 4