MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2009-10-23, 01:16 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-23, 01:02 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-23, 12:48 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Which is my point. If Wine gets perfected, people will move to linux.

Using wine defeats the purpose of linux. As soon as software and hardware companies both support linux I'll gladly switch.

Price of Windows. Wink
£30 with student discount doesn't seem bad to me. I'm not a Linux hater, i use it for all my servers. Just at the moment Microsoft wins hands down with the desktop OS.
(2009-10-23, 11:25 AM)Jakee Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-23, 12:48 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Which is my point. If Wine gets perfected, people will move to linux.

Using wine defeats the purpose of linux. As soon as software and hardware companies both support linux I'll gladly switch.

Price of Windows. Wink
£30 with student discount doesn't seem bad to me. I'm not a Linux hater, i use it for all my servers. Just at the moment Microsoft wins hands down with the desktop OS.

Not for the top version Wink
(2009-10-23, 02:16 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-23, 11:25 AM)Jakee Wrote: [ -> ]

Price of Windows. Wink

Not for the top version Wink

I get ultimate Windows 7/Office 2007 for £30 each if i buy it from my college. I'm an IT student. I'd rather pay £30 use any Linux distro (At the moment).
(2009-10-23, 02:32 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]If the Linux community ever gets off of their butts and creates a stable driver API instead of basically forcing the hardware companies to rewrite their drivers every kernel release I think that Linux will do much better. As it is now you basically have no choice but to either do that, or release all of your trade secrets for your competitors to see, which is unfortunately what the Linux community wants.

Once there's better hardware support, more people will use Linux. Once more people use Linux, there will be more software support. Once there's more software support, more people will use Linux. Once more people use Linux, there will be more hardware support. It's a vicious cycle.

[offtopic]
Most of the Linux community needs to learn that the for-profit companies are here to stay. Once they can accept that I think they'll be much better off.[/offtopic]

The reason for the bold is that Linux itself has done that, why else would there be multiple hundreds of distros if Linux never released their code. But I agree that something needs to be done to achieve a stable API for driver authoring on Linux. The way it stands now, Linux has little to no driver support.
I used to have Ubuntu installed, but honestly, I never used it. It just took up HDD space. I also had XP installed too, but I never really used that anymore either.

I tried KDE4 out a while back though, and I found the entire effects to be glitchy, and it's not like my video card couldn't handle it (it was a 8800GTS 512 mb). Compiz-Fusion worked great under Ubuntu, so I just came to the conclusion that the effects in KDE4 were poorly written.

So, have the fixed the effects? I remember the minimizing/maximizing effect being extremely buggy. I probably won't install Linux again until I get a new computer and make my current one a Linux box, but that won't be until around 2011, after I had graduated from college.
Actually thats should be expected, 4.0 was a complete rewrite. 4.3 came out not to long ago, should be fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4