MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Skin City Designs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
All the themes I was able to see were all from the 90's looking. But who cares, if she sells to her audience, it's ok.

If you are not on the most-likely-to-be age range to like her work, then just don't post. They'll just keep saying they are innovative and fresh. And thus, advertising with more links on the site.
The themes do look dated for the most part.

btw...minimum wage in most states is $7.25. And if you think you'll get more clients by being cheap you're right but that just means you'll work more for the same money as if you had less clients paying you a fair wage. So it's stupid to discount your work to that level.

2 clients at $75 each = $150
10 clients at $15 each = $150

Why build 10 themes when you can do 2? It's not about quantity of work you do. It's about the quality and if you do good work you can charge a fair wage.

I think the real problem with Skin City Designs is her own site. To be honest it's very dated looking and it needs an overhaul. The whole Pink Floyd thing immediately is a problem imho. I took some time to view all her designs and she is capable of doing good work but first impressions are everything and at first glance most people would click away.
(2009-11-19, 05:17 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I think the real problem with Skin City Designs is her own site. To be honest it's very dated looking and it needs an overhaul. The whole Pink Floyd thing immediately is a problem imho. I took some time to view all her designs and she is capable of doing good work but first impressions are everything and at first glance most people would click away.

Its not a pink floyd thing... dunno why everyone thinks that.
Yea the SCD forum design isn't that super either, its just black background, white text, and some crazy rainbow thing on the left and top sides.
(2009-11-19, 06:14 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Yea the SCD forum design isn't that super either, its just black background, white text, and some crazy rainbow thing on the left and top sides.

Have you ever heard of less is more? Its a simple theme that is fairly easy on the eyes. Not every site needs a complex and crazy theme.
Skin City off icon: [Image: off.gif]

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of the Moon" cover:
[Image: darkside.jpg]

It's more than inspired it's a rip. DSOTM is a very recognized cover. The album was the longest running album on the Billboard top 100 in history.

Quote:The Dark Side of the Moon was an immediate success, topping the Billboard 200 for one week. It subsequently remained on the charts for 741 weeks (fourteen years), the longest duration of any album in history. With an estimated 45 million units sold, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and one of the best-selling albums worldwide

So right there to me it's a problem. I mention this to her but she is under the impression it's not an issue. I beg to differ.
How is it not an issue? She's using someone's original work as icons on her forum and clearly has taken inspiration from the cover of that album and based her whole theme around it.
Ok, I never noticed that. I always just thought it was just a retro theme. I don't know PF's albumn covers by heart like you apparently do Wink

Though the icon isn't exactly the same, it is so close as to make no nevermind. So I stand corrected.
Hmm, I didnt know you could copyright album covers...
I dont think so lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10