MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Skin City Designs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
WOW.... $150 for a theme? And take a look at your own site. I will not trust a person with such a 80's looking site. I would trust FMB ^^ since her site looks like a profecional design site not some who knows what looking like site. I am sorry for being so cruel but thats the reality.

Coding MyBB theme is one thing but can you code anything else excluding WowBB. Can you code themes for PHPBB, IPB, vBulletin, SMF? Can you make custom themes? Can you do front end and back end coding? $150.00 is really to much for just a theme. Profecional vBulletin and IPB themes cost way less and the sites people get them from have been running for long time and are very profecional charging way less then $150.00.

It seems the forums on MyBB are being invated by people who think there pros which in reality dosen't seem like that.
(2009-11-19, 07:01 PM)Kyonko Wrote: [ -> ]WOW.... $150 for a theme? And take a look at your own site. I will not trust a person with such a 80's looking site. I would trust FMB ^^ since her site looks like a profecional design site not some who knows what looking like site. I am sorry for being so cruel but thats the reality.

Coding MyBB theme is one thing but can you code anything else excluding WowBB. Can you code themes for PHPBB, IPB, vBulletin, SMF? Can you make custom themes? Can you do front end and back end coding? $150.00 is really to much for just a theme. Profecional vBulletin and IPB themes cost way less and the sites people get them from have been running for long time and are very profecional charging way less then $150.00.

It seems the forums on MyBB are being invated by people who think there pros which in reality dosen't seem like that.

So because she is older and enjoys 80s things you wouldn't trust her? What a load of horse manure. That is the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard. And she is far more of a "pro" than you'll ever be. She is actually cheap, most of the other companies in her area charge $80/hr for custom website themes. Whereas you can't even spell professional properly. As someone else mentioned, the people charging insanely low rates are just screwing themselves. She knows html and css inside out and upside down, is an excellent graphic designer, and also makes magazine covers. Not to mention you can write themes for ANY website or forum software if you know html/css. You might have to learn the file structure peculiarities of some of those softwares, but so what? So, take your childish ideas and scat.
(2009-11-19, 06:30 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Skin City off icon: [Image: off.gif]

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of the Moon" cover:
[Image: darkside.jpg]

It's more than inspired it's a rip. DSOTM is a very recognized cover. The album was the longest running album on the Billboard top 100 in history.

Quote:The Dark Side of the Moon was an immediate success, topping the Billboard 200 for one week. It subsequently remained on the charts for 741 weeks (fourteen years), the longest duration of any album in history. With an estimated 45 million units sold, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and one of the best-selling albums worldwide

So right there to me it's a problem. I mention this to her but she is under the impression it's not an issue. I beg to differ.

Now that you think you understood my thought process for my theme I'll correct you. I'm taking time from ripping off another customer with my hideous orange but here goes. Believe me or not.

The theme was inspired by the rainbow of color. Not Pink Floyd.
Black for minimalism.
I hand made all the icons including the prism and the rainbow of colors on it. YES I know it is extremely close to the PF one but PF did not invent that image. It's been around as a drawing for ages. It's how science teachers showed light through a prism on drawings then proved it with a real prism against the blackboard.

My idea with the prism was to show the colors trapped by the prism (indicating new posts needing to be seen) and then the "not" PF image to show that the post was read (light let through). I know how it looks but it was not thought of the way you all see it.

I'm sorry you don't like the idea that I dont' see it as ripping off PF but I saw that image long before they put it on an album cover.

Just so you know kiddies, it's not from the 80's but the early '70's.

Now, the rainbow of colors represents your IMAGINATION.
So the dark background and the colors of the imagination were the basis of thought for the theme.

The only thing that is Pink Floyd-like is the ONE icon.

So, if I change that will it make any difference in anyone's opinion of the theme? I highly doubt it. You'll tell me I ripped off rainbows of color then.

(2009-11-19, 07:01 PM)Kyonko Wrote: [ -> ]WOW.... $150 for a theme? And take a look at your own site. I will not trust a person with such a 80's looking site. I would trust FMB ^^ since her site looks like a profecional design site not some who knows what looking like site. I am sorry for being so cruel but thats the reality.

How is the look of something a trust issue? Are you some kind of ageist that thinks anyting that is not of your generation is bad and untrustworthy?

and what constitutes "professional" in the context you describe?

Please do tell me where I said I was a professional designer anywhere on my site? Does one need to go to special schools to be a designer to meet all your parameters? Did I say I am in competition with anyone?

Or better yet, does it not even matter that my customers like what I provide for them as long as you all are satisfied with what I produce? Apparently you all count more than the people who pay me.

What constitutes a modern look? Please do tell.
I don't think anything I do would change anyone's mind and I think I would rather listen to my customers than worry what everyone says.
So, you all go on having youselves a grand time ragging on me. If it makes you all feel good to be a vicious flock of vultures, enjoy yourselves.

You guys all have an awful way of critizing someone. You're vicious, rabid and downright mean. You've apparently never been taught how to be tactful and polite and rudeness seems to be how you get your jollies.

You dont' make suggestions, you rag. I'm happy with my customer's satisfaction. My customers have been giving me repeat business since 2005 so I must be doing something right.
"companies in her area charge $80/hr for custom website themes."

What do you mean her area it's the internet Angel.
Quote:Ok, I never noticed that. I always just thought it was just a retro theme. I don't know PF's albumn covers by heart like you apparently do

Ugh...I knew you would say that and it's why I quoted the wiki. That album is one of the most recognized covers in the world. You are actually in the minority for not knowing that. It was on Billboard 100 for 14 years...do you have any idea how HUGE that is? You live under a rock if you don't know that cover.

Quote:Profecional vBulletin and IPB themes cost way less and the sites people get them from have been running for long time and are very profecional charging way less then $150.00.

Absolutely not true. Most themes that are custom and pro for those software range from $300-$1200. Apparently you have never tried to actually buy one. And I mean from pro designers not children pretending to be pro.

Quote:So because she is older and enjoys 80s things you wouldn't trust her?

It's more about fearing having paid for a dated look. I would be loathe to have her do a design and she whips out some retro look. I have seen her work. It's reasonable and I see no reason she can't get work but the crowd here is younger in general and want more modern looking themes. Just because you can make a theme doesn't mean you are a good designer.

When I spoke to her about her design and it's look she told me she wasn't planning on marketing to the people on MyBB. That's probably wise. This thread was a mistake imho but you never know till you try.

If she wants to be taken seriously imho she needs to bust out one amazing theme that will wow the community. I still believe she need to ditch her site layout though. She needs to view it with fresh eyes and redesign it from scratch. If she gets work I applaud her. She would get more though if she listened to some advice and criticism.
(2009-11-19, 07:20 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]So because she is older and enjoys 80s things you wouldn't trust her? What a load of horse manure. That is the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard. And she is far more of a "pro" than you'll ever be. She is actually cheap, most of the other companies in her area charge $80/hr for custom website themes. Whereas you can't even spell professional properly. As someone else mentioned, the people charging insanely low rates are just screwing themselves. She knows html and css inside out and upside down, is an excellent graphic designer, and also makes magazine covers. Not to mention you can write themes for ANY website or forum software if you know html/css. You might have to learn the file structure peculiarities of some of those softwares, but so what? So, take your childish ideas and scat.

We seem to have cross posted, ralgith!

Thank you for that compliment but I do not know html and css inside and out. I know enough and what I don't know I learn.
Don't pick on her, she's just a kid. So are most of the others who are taking a special interest in ragging on me. But one day they'll grow up, move out on their own, be responsible human beings and along the way maybe they'll learn a little class and tact.
Yea a good IPB skin is around 300 dollars.

This guy is a legend: http://www.ipbforumskins.com/ his skins in the shop are only 25 dollars and a custom theme 300 dollars.
Yes, but if you noticed those are 'modern' designs. Rolleyes
Quote:YES I know it is extremely close to the PF one but PF did not invent that image. It's been around as a drawing for ages. It's how science teachers showed light through a prism on drawings then proved it with a real prism against the blackboard.

That doesn't matter. It's perception from the potential clients.

This symbol too was around for decades. Would you use a variant of this and justify it?

[Image: 150px-Flag_of_Nazi_Germany_(1933-1945).svg.png]

Quote:Just so you know kiddies, it's not from the 80's but the early '70's.

Sure but the album was a top seller till 1987.

How many years ago did you make this theme btw? I know it's a conversion from your Wowbb days.

Quote:So, if I change that will it make any difference in anyone's opinion of the theme? I highly doubt it. You'll tell me I ripped off rainbows of color then.

No reason you can't use rainbows and maybe in a more unique way though.

Quote:What constitutes a modern look? Please do tell.

There are acceptable practices for web 2.0 standards of design. You should brush up on modern design techniques imho. Designers have to constantly grow and keep modern if they want to be relevant. This goes for many professions such as hair, fashion, and even art.

Quote:So, you all go on having youselves a grand time ragging on me. If it makes you all feel good to be a vicious flock of vultures, enjoy yourselves.

I know some of the comments here haven't been nice but at the core of them is some basic truths. That you could do more.

Quote:You dont' make suggestions, you rag. I'm happy with my customer's satisfaction. My customers have been giving me repeat business since 2005 so I must be doing something right.

What about trying to attract new customers? How about expanding your design capabilities with fresh ideas?

Quote:Yea a good IPB skin is around 300 dollars.

This guy is a legend: http://www.ipbforumskins.com/ his skins in the shop are only 25 dollars and a custom theme 300 dollars.

They START at $300...
Quote:All custom skins for IPB from this site start at $300 USD,

Goggalor, I think you need to read between the lines and self reflect on the tone of this thread. And imho you would get the same comments at any site you posted SKD for review. Try at DP and see what people say. Ultimately what other people think about your design is more important than what you think. Your site is a way to obtain clients and not to appease your own personal needs. Do you want to attract new clients or not?
(2009-11-19, 06:14 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Yea the SCD forum design isn't that super either, its just black background, white text, and some crazy rainbow thing on the left and top sides.

It may not be "super" but at least I don't have to scroll from right to left to see the page on any of my sites. Just sayin'...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10