MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whats going on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have people registering on my site. Using the exact same sig. Make 3 posts. And leave. When I check the IP, only some times it shows up as a double register. Some times not. Are these bots? A guy on my forum said that bots might be registering, but I didn't think they could post. Any tips?
What is their signature?

It is likely that they are spam 'bots' of some kind. What I've been noticing a lot of recently, not just at MyBB forums but some vBulletin forums I moderate also, is that users will register, create a topic asking for help with some particular topic in the correct forum so you think it's all fine. Then a few days/weeks later another user or the same user will post back saying they found a solution, then link to some site that they want to advertise.
vBulletin websites are terrible for spam. Test it. Create a board, put in 30 random forums, wait a week.

I was creating a vB forum once, I was away for a while, I come back and over 200 posts of spam.

--------

Relating to your topic, if you wait a while and they come back then they aren't bots. Sometimes users just post a couple of times to see what the community is like. But if their signatures are matching and their IP's are similar, yes they are bots.
(2010-01-03, 03:18 AM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]vBulletin websites are terrible for spam. Test it. Create a board, put in 30 random forums, wait a week.

I was creating a vB forum once, I was away for a while, I come back and over 200 posts of spam.

--------

Relating to your topic, if you wait a while and they come back then they aren't bots. Sometimes users just post a couple of times to see what the community is like. But if their signatures are matching and their IP's are similar, yes they are bots.

Really? I've had a vB forum for more than a month and we only got 2 spammers to register (That were actually able to register) but they could never post.
Actually, I heard somewhere that spam bots specifically look for "Powered by vBulletin" in source codes (because most are built for vBulletin), so vB forums are targeted more. Don't worry, MyBB will become a bigger target soon enough.

I know a vB forum owner that changed his registration page a bit to throw off spam bots, and it's helped a lot Smile But I think that right now, spam bots are manually registered with MyBB, so not much you can do in that sense.
That's probably why most vB sites have like 5 human verifications on registration (I've failed those verifications many time xD for real!!)
That why my gaming forums (powered by vBulletin) has a funny question which is

Roses are red... violets are ???

{Answer here}
Blue

I personally don't recommend using that, as some people may not know (most will, but some might not). But everybody will know what 4+7 is.
I just find that annoying for real humans... and I once had the math thing wrong too LOL (was probably a typo though)
It's less annoying than captcha
Pages: 1 2 3