MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Introducing ShopMyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Hi,
I'm a bit confused so maybe you can help clear it up.
So let's assume I have subscriptions at all the existing plugin sites, now all these same plugins will be sold on ShopMyBB at individual prices?
Would new plugins / upgrades still go to the originating plugin site like MyBBCentral or would it just go directly to ShopMyBB from this point on?

Thanks.
(2010-03-12, 08:40 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Of course I'm aware of all the legal issue involved

Doubtful.

(2010-03-12, 08:40 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]we're not offering a banking service

You're keeping accounts for buyers (who have to put money into it before they can buy), as well as authors (who can take money out of it as soon as it reaches $50), as well as money transfers between those accounts (whenever someone buys something). Any money that is not taken out of the system remains with you.

Technically that makes you a bank. Legally it makes you at the very least vulnerable...
You don't seem to mention it's a MyBB marketplace too much. People might not follow that.
(2010-03-12, 08:29 PM)Darkmew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-12, 08:24 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Also, drop the exclusive requirement.

if the exclusive requirement is dropped users WILL start using the site as a portal for advertisement more then the current vision as a collective central location for all paid plugins for myBB

I would say make the exclusivity optional but if it is exclusive they get more of the money when someone buys it. Like that one market people are always talking about Toungue.

To maybe draw the people who already have a subscription system in place maybe allow authors to set up a subscription options for their items so people can still get them all but just through shopmybb Wink. You could even make a larger package where you can subscribe to multiple authors at a discount (of course you would have to work with the authors).
(2010-03-12, 08:58 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Technically that makes you a bank. Legally it makes you at the very least vulnerable...

Not necessarily. Many sites do this, including most web hosts (built in credit system, and other sites like PayPal - which is most certainly not a bank).
(2010-03-12, 08:58 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-12, 08:40 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Of course I'm aware of all the legal issue involved

Doubtful.

(2010-03-12, 08:40 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]we're not offering a banking service

You're keeping accounts for buyers (who have to put money into it before they can buy), as well as authors (who can take money out of it as soon as it reaches $50), as well as money transfers between those accounts (whenever someone buys something). Any money that is not taken out of the system remains with you.

Technically that makes you a bank. Legally it makes you at the very least vulnerable...

To conform to legal standards an easy work-around would be simply to declare in terms and conditions that when depositing money, you are purchasing credits which resemble US currency, that way it would not be a bank as legally for a institution to be declared as a bank it must physically hold monetary funds, of which the site would not be doing if converting the money into credits with the same value.
(2010-03-12, 08:58 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]

Doubtful.

You are still incorrect. Your accusation is clearly saying that the Apple iTunes and App stores are also a banking service including PayPal which is indeed not a banking service. I beg you, please read and understand things before jumping to conclusions, it'll save us both time. Smile
I still got to upload my item, will be up by Sunday Toungue.
(2010-03-12, 09:05 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-12, 08:58 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Technically that makes you a bank. Legally it makes you at the very least vulnerable...

Not necessarily. Many sites do this, including most web hosts (built in credit system, and other sites like PayPal - which is most certainly not a bank).

You'll find PayPal is a registered European Bank under the governing law of Luxembourg, monitored by the CSSF the Luxembourg alternative to the UK's FSA.
After we buy an item from here, what if it gets upgraded? Are we entitled to a free upgrade if we purchased an older version before, or will we have to re-buy?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14