MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Introducing ShopMyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2010-03-12, 09:40 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-12, 09:08 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]You are still incorrect. Your accusation is clearly saying that the Apple iTunes and App stores are also a banking service including PayPal which is indeed not a banking service. I beg you, please read and understand things before jumping to conclusions, it'll save us both time. Smile

PayPal is a bank, with proper license even, although I'll admit that international money transfers and currency conversion may have something to do with it. Toungue

Quote:You acknowledge that (i) PayPal is not a bank and the Service is a payment processing service rather than a banking service, and (ii) PayPal is not acting as a trustee, fiduciary or escrow with respect to your funds, but is acting only as an agent and custodian.

The law can't really prove for or against it as being a bank at this point in time.

Quote:Either way, my intention was not to attack or accuse you, but to point out problems and make suggestions as how to solve them, thereby possibly making a good idea that is currently poorly implemented (in my opinion) more likely to succeed.

Either way, I'm out of this thread to save you time, and me as well. Toungue

Feel free to ignore anything I said and good luck.

Thank you for the input provided, we will put them in consideration. Smile
(2010-03-12, 09:45 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]The buyers do have a choose. They can either buy a subscription at MyBB Central, MyBB Plugins, or another site. I find it ridicules that you are stating that authors have to listen to buyers and that they should basically should decide where the author uploads the file. I am not sure if that was correct but that's what I understand from your attitude.

I'm just afraid that the subscription option will become meaningless since the first post states that any plugins sold at ShopMyBB may not be distributed anywhere else, which I assume includes the developer's forum like mybb-plugins, mybbsource, and mybbcentral.

But hey, if that happens, I have absolute respect for the change despite my disagreement.
I just won't support it, I rather pay a web developer $50+ to develop what I need individually. The money is not so much an issue to me, it's just the principle. I don't believe in the purchase of each item like this, and the developer not getting the full payment amount... so I rather refuse to use it.
@Bob Jansen No, I'm saying that if they have business sense they have to take into account what their current and/or prospective customers want when making decisions regarding changing things. They don't have to do anything any more than anyone else does...but if they want to turn a profit they really do have to take into consideration what is wanted overall. If you don't believe me, look into some businesses or ask some business people - I doubt you'll be told that can be ignored.
(2010-03-12, 09:50 PM)ladyunicornejg Wrote: [ -> ]@Bob Jansen No, I'm saying that if they have business sense they have to take into account what their current and/or prospective customers want when making decisions regarding changing things. They don't have to do anything any more than anyone else does...but if they want to turn a profit they really do have to take into consideration what is wanted overall. If you don't believe me, look into some businesses or ask some business people - I doubt you'll be told that can be ignored.
I believe that more people can make more profit with ShopMYBB because the item can be resold meaning if a item for $10 gets sold 10 times that's 100 dollars. To get 100 dollars with a subscription site you will need to get 20 subscribers. Also ShopMyBB will get more talented plugins and themes that are probably uniquer and better quality because multiple authors will have to compete with each other to make money. At the moment I can only see positive points for the buyers and publishers but if it gets to crowded it can be harder for authors to sell work and it might be a bit expensive for the buyer but they will have more selection and probably will get better themes and plugins for what they pay.
(2010-03-12, 09:59 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that more people can make more profit with ShopMYBB because the item can be resold meaning if a item for $10 gets sold 10 times that's 100 dollars. To get 100 dollars with a subscription site you will need to get 20 subscribers. Also ShopMyBB will get more talented plugins and themes that are probably uniquer and better quality because multiple authors will have to compete with each other to make money. At the moment I can only see positive points for the buyers and publishers but if it gets to crowded it can be harder for authors to sell work and it might be a bit expensive for the buyer but they will have more selection and probably will get better themes and plugins for what they pay.

Yes, they can probably get more money in some cases at least. They still have to consider the fact that some of us will not go there to buy things. Some people will refuse just like people refuse to buy plugins at all right now...only some people that would buy them may refuse due to the site's terms or other issues with the site, or may refuse from a specific plugin author simply because it's too drastic a change in their book. No, the authors don't have to do anything based on this...but they may or may not ultimately make more profit if they change to that system.
I do not agree with your way of thinking Imad Jomaa, a plugin or theme developper can invest many hours or days of work to produce a final product. Even a 25% commission on this, is quite unfair for people having nothing else to do except to approve each product after few minutes. Many of those developpers will increase their price to cover their lost, so the buyers will be penalized...

Like writen by precedent people, only "not so bright" authors will let you have exclusive distribution rights and 50% of their earnings. Unless they could not even afford a website of their own.

People have to understand that when a software engineer like me, develop a plugin it should be paid at least 80$/hour. So an average plugin should be sold at least for 240$ to not lose my time. Considering this and the fact that our 140 plugins are available and supported on MyBBCodes.com site for a single 5$/year is almost ridicule. But if i was a user looking for a plugin and knew that 25% to 50% of the price is used just for the middle transition organisation, i would be not too happy. Why would customers pay even 5 times 1$ for plugins at your site when they could get over one hundred plugins all year long for 5$ elsewhere?

Your motto should be "Give us your work so we can make money and in return we will offer you a part of it!". At this point i think that Google AdSense would have more sense for public exposure...

No, i won't participate with your project mostly because you want to get the control over all authors giving them only bits in return. I hope that the buyers will open their eyes before it is too late and like written by Labrocca in another thread about the "lack of success" of MyBB, subscribe to major developpers plugins websites. This way you could contribute a little to make them continue to provide quality plugins for many years.

I completely agree with frostschutz, that you are selling a concept to make money doing almost nothing at the detriment of the authors, who will do most of the work, and the average customers will have to pay more for less. You gain money with the sales and with the possible interest(who knows) on all the money on hand in each accounts. What insurance can you give that you won't disappear with all the funds still not used after a while?

You are quite a good business man Imad Jomaa, it was wise to mention that you will give some of the money back to MyBB, how could they not support you now! But you are really too greedy and controlling to my taste!
... Yeah, what exdiogene said.
And if I really wanted to show more support to MyBB and the Developer I subscribed at, I rather just make a direction donation to them, on top of the plugin subscription, whenever I can.
Wow! Six pages in not even a day. That must be a record.

I'm glad to see this finally being open to the public. Great job on it Imad!
(2010-03-12, 10:07 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]People have to understand that when a software engineer like me, develop a plugin it should be paid at least 80$/hour. So an average plugin should be sold at least for 240$ to not lose my time. Considering this and the fact that our 140 plugins are available and supported on MyBBCodes.com site for a single 5$/year is almost ridicule.

This could go into a debate that is still going elsewhere and very frequent here, but I'm not going to; I'll just say relating to that that we're starting with a free product. What I do want to point out, however, is that a lot of the plugin and theme designers - even the ones charging in some cases - aren't professionals. Many people are doing it as a hobby only and trying to cover expenses or as a paid hobby even rather than their "work."
(2010-03-12, 10:07 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]I do not agree with your way of thinking Imad Jomaa, a plugin or theme developper can invest many hours or days of work to produce a final product. Even a 25% commission on this, is quite unfair for people having nothing else to do except to approve each product after few minutes. Many of those developpers will increase their price to cover their lost, so the buyers will be penalized...

Like writen by precedent people, only "not so bright" authors will let you have exclusive distribution rights and 50% of their earnings. Unless they could not even afford a website of their own.

Again, ShopMyBB does not gain exclusive rights to redistribute your items, exclusive is referring to not being sold elsewhere.

Quote:People have to understand that when a software engineer like me, develop a plugin it should be paid at least 80$/hour. So an average plugin should be sold at least for 240$ to not lose my time.

With that understanding, the operating system you're using for your computer should have cost you a few hundred thousand dollars. Smile I have an article on the site that describes item pricing based on selling by copies, it gives you a better understanding on how it works.

Quote:Considering this and the fact that our 140 plugins are available and supported on MyBBCodes.com site for a single 5$/year is almost ridicule. But if i was a user looking for a plugin and knew that 25% to 50% of the price is used just for the middle transition organisation, i would be not too happy. Why would customers pay even 5 times 1$ for plugins at your site when they could get over one hundred plugins all year long for 5$ elsewhere?

This argument is controversial, the marketplace can also save money, which was one of my motives behind the project.

Quote:Your motto should be "Give us your work so we can make money and in return we will offer you a part of it!". At this point i think that Google AdSense would have more sense for public exposure...

No, i won't participate with your project mostly because you want to get the control over all authors giving them only bits in return. I hope that the buyers will open their eyes before it is too late and like written by Labrocca in another thread about the "lack of success" of MyBB, subscribe to major developpers plugins websites. This way you could contribute a little to make them continue to provide quality plugins for many years.

Not forcing you to participate and no, in no way am I trying to obtain a dictatorship process here. Additionally, bits is the wrong term, Authors are receiving a fair amount of profit and are on the better side of the bargain.

Quote:I completely agree with frostschutz, that you are selling a concept to make money doing almost nothing at the detriment of the authors, who will do most of the work, and the average customers will have to pay more for less. You gain money with the sales and with the possible interest(who knows) on all the money on hand in each accounts. What insurance can you give that you won't disappear with all the funds still not used after a while?

So exciting, another throwing defamatory statements at me. While I would never do something as you described, I also have the law to keep me in check. If the service does fail, everyone will be entitled to get their deposits and earnings and will be given a decent period of time to act on it.

Quote:You are quite a good business man Imad Jomaa, it was wise to mention that you will give some of the money back to MyBB, how could they not support you now! But you are really too greedy and controlling to my taste!

Not going to waste my time repeating myself on your comment.

Despite all this, we are discussing about fixing a lot of things to the system, especially the commission rates, we just need constructive criticism and suggestions to move along.

I am honestly disappointed that some of you do not value any time and efforts put in by the ShopMyBB team to help the community as a whole.

Maybe this idea was a mistake and it seems like the community isn't ready for an opportunity of change.

Best Regards.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14