MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [RC]InstallMyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2010-04-01, 10:01 AM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, it's like the auto installers for TYPO3 or Papaya CMS (for Windows). Wink

Is this software Open Source? Because your software get login data for FTP and MySQL and also admin user... Would be inspiring confidence if everybody can check the source code.

You are using MyBB forum, but the footer link You have deleted why?
This is very, very, very nice and unique.

Great job with this!
(2010-04-01, 10:01 AM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, it's like the auto installers for TYPO3 or Papaya CMS (for Windows). Wink

Is this software Open Source? Because your software get login data for FTP and MySQL and also admin user... Would be inspiring confidence if everybody can check the source code.

Not sure if that would be good since everyone could easily add 10 lines of code to send the login data to another server and re-compile the code and re-distribute it.

@OP Great job by the way Smile
(2010-04-01, 11:40 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if that would be good since everyone could easily add 10 lines of code to send the login data to another server and re-compile the code and re-distribute it.

Another situation: I could easily add 10 lines of code in MyBB package to send the login data to another server and re-distribute it. I would never do this, but this could everybody to with every open source software.

So you should only use software from a confident source.

But I would never type my passwords into a software without knowing what happen with them.
For now, it is closed source, for security purposes. And I can promise you, it does not do anything with your data except submit it to your server to install MyBB.

If I were to submit it to the mods site, which category would this fall under?
(2010-04-01, 12:57 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-01, 11:40 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if that would be good since everyone could easily add 10 lines of code to send the login data to another server and re-compile the code and re-distribute it.

Another situation: I could easily add 10 lines of code in MyBB package to send the login data to another server and re-distribute it. I would never do this, but this could everybody to with every open source software.

So you should only use software from a confident source.

But I would never type my passwords into a software without knowing what happen with them.

That situation could be real and would be exactly like the one I mentioned. Doesn't make it more secure, does it?
I'm a little confused. I hope you guys know that I didn't do anything bad in this software.
Its all well and good having an autoinstaller but people will not learn the basics because your bypassing them

so when one needs to upgrade which i presume your script does not do... it has to be learned here

:confused:
(2010-04-01, 04:05 PM)crypt Wrote: [ -> ]Its all well and good having an autoinstaller but people will not learn the basics because your bypassing them

so when one needs to upgrade which i presume your script does not do... it has to be learned here

:confused:

Hi

Upgrade is actually being implemented as we speak. I took a quick break from developing it actually just now. It is going to be in the next release.
(2010-04-01, 03:45 PM)zDawg32 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a little confused. I hope you guys know that I didn't do anything bad in this software.

No, I was just discussing the fact of it being open source or not Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7