MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is MyBB 1.6 Gold free?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Seems some people still have Invision Board trauma's heh.
lol
Never used IPB, only heard about that specific problem they had.
(2010-05-18, 05:31 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]Not necessarily. :p
Just look at IPB.

Well, I wouldn't care if they had a "premium" package for MyBB, which would hopefully just be some extra features via plugin.

And didn't IPB break the rules of the GPL GNU license? I thought once you made it GPL it had to stay that way, and any direct derivatives had to stay GPL too.
(2010-05-19, 12:46 AM)Beatrix Kiddo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-18, 05:31 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]Not necessarily. :p
Just look at IPB.

Well, I wouldn't care if they had a "premium" package for MyBB, which would hopefully just be some extra features via plugin.

And didn't IPB break the rules of the GPL GNU license? I thought once you made it GPL it had to stay that way, and any direct derivatives had to stay GPL too.

But IPB wasn't GPL when they made the switch
(2010-05-19, 12:46 AM)Beatrix Kiddo Wrote: [ -> ]And didn't IPB break the rules of the GPL GNU license? I thought once you made it GPL it had to stay that way, and any direct derivatives had to stay GPL too.

If you rewrite your codebase there wouldn't be any problems changing the licence but your old codebase would still have to be GPL so anyone could take that code for free and continue development.

Any way, the most relevant thing here is that MyBB will always be free.
Offtopic - I'd pay for MyBB if it ever went commercial providing it stayed the same basic software and principles.

Ontopic - yay free
ever since MyBB was out on the market as free, and will be permanently free forever! Smile
User friendly forum software ever! easy to make plugins and themes too.. Thanks to Ryan and the team!
IPB is still free on 1.3 and 2.0 but after that is become commercial product its always good have free forums but alot them do like reclaim there money back via license payments or via donating towards future development.
But mind you, MyBB is released on the GPL. IPB was not, from what I remembered. Even if MyBB wanted to become paid, someone can easily fork MyBB and continue a free version anyways.
From this 3 commercial forums, no one uses UTF-8.
vBulletin 4.0.3 (Suite) allows using UTF-8, but stores the content as ISO8859-1 in tables with coalitions utf8_general_ci (crap)
IPB 3.1.0 Beta doesn't allow UTF-8 at all, Cyrillic alphabet, Kanji symbols comes as ????
Wolftlab Buletin Board 3.1 - same piece of sh.... as vBulletin 4.0

GPLed forums that supports fully supports UTF-8 are:
MyBB
SMF 2
phpBB 3
FluxBB (fork of PunBB 1.3)
PunBB 1.3

Others which tries to catch users and developers with features such as *fully UTF-8 support , even don't mind to pre-encode they're language files into UTF-8 without BOM at least and to change main charset from ISO8859-1.

WBB, IPB and VB latest releases gives nothing more compared to MyBB.

Installing themes and modules in MyBB and SMF 2 can't be compared to the "easiest" way of this commercial forums - Find this, replace it with that .... the good old times with phpBB 2. Thanks but no.

Still wondering why people try to get and/or search for forks of this pieces of crap....

Btw, from where 1.6 can be downloaded, so I can sync my current translation to 1.6 (it's not released yet, bcz is partial) - 100% frontend, 75% administration, and at the moment don't have much free time
Pages: 1 2 3 4