MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: one installation split across mutiple subdomains (beta testers needed)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
okay so i finally got around to building a plugin that will take a SINGLE MyBB installation and limit specified categories to specific subdomains. all login works, at least when using a wildcard cookie domain and not a specific one as well as PMs, etc.

by default the plugin will setup "www" to show ALL forums. it also supports common categories that you want to be shown on all subdomains. just enter the category IDs into several subdomain entries

example:
subdomains: www,food,drink
cat IDs: ALL|1,3,6,9|5,9

so the above will take the www subdomain and show all forums. the food subdomain will show categories 1, 3, 6 and 9. The drink subdomain will show category 5 as well as 9 just like the food domain.

so far I have tested it on 1.6 beta but I fully expect it to work on 1.4.x as well

all you need to do is have working subdomains that are directed to the domains root, not their own folder. so, before the plugin is installed, www.domain.tld and sub1.domain.tld and sub2.domain.tld, etc all need to show the same page.

the plugin takes the subdomain from the $_SERVER request and determines the categories that apply and modifies forum cache so the index page only shows the allowed categories and related forums for that subdomain. it also handles search forum list, view new, view today, etc.

only thing its not handling is find threads/posts from a user profile. that is next to fix.

later edits will update theme info for each subdomain so they can have their own unique looks.

so , anyone want to beta test on 1.4/1.6 versions? i can not help you with making subdomains work on your hosting account. once you have the subdomains you want to use setup as needed, then you can test.

i need 5-7 folks willing to test. one plugin file to upload, a few config settings to set, and that is it.

if you have questions about this please post up here. i will do my best to answer.

thanks
oh, and it will also change the 'bburl' variable in memory so all links stay within the subdomain
I'll help test this. Interesting idea! Smile
thanks. this is my solution to the multiple forum - single user table that so many folks are asking for.
here is a link to a demo. this is 1.6 beta. registration is closed, but the board is open and there is one user and some posts (from RSS2post that was setup to debug a setup for a user here)

http://www.headoffroad.com/

you will see links to the various subdomains in the header (not part of the plugin). forum/cats are named based on the settings I made to help visualize it working
it's like a MyBB version of Wordpress MU

Yes, I'll try it Smile
(2010-06-11, 07:14 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]...oh, and it will also change the 'bburl' variable in memory so all links stay within the subdomain

Looks great pavemen,
Any chance of adding support for folders instead of sub-domains? Would that require much extra coding?
I would help test that one, but don't ever use sub-domains.
Thank you.
Just a suggestion:
This would be great in different domains too. Not just subdomians. Smile
^^^
FYI: He's working with a single login to all sub-domains; Setting multiple cookies to work over multiple domains is a security risk, and not easy to do.
Interesting, if only the feature to add domains to each sub was available it would be quite usefull to me.
(2010-06-12, 10:35 PM)zDawg32 Wrote: [ -> ]it's like a MyBB version of Wordpress MU

Yes, I'll try it Smile
I found some issues on a 1.4 install I have, so I need to work on it a little bit more before sending out another version. I will get back to you. Thanks!
(2010-06-13, 12:42 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-11, 07:14 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]...oh, and it will also change the 'bburl' variable in memory so all links stay within the subdomain

Looks great pavemen,
Any chance of adding support for folders instead of sub-domains? Would that require much extra coding?
I would help test that one, but don't ever use sub-domains.
Thank you.
Folders are possible I suppose but they would most likely require that you setup symlinks for those folders as the plugin assumes a single installation of MyBB and only limits the forums/cats to show given the URI
(2010-06-13, 08:15 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]Just a suggestion:
This would be great in different domains too. Not just subdomians. Smile
Security issue amd hard to do with cross site cookies and session info. You wont stay logged in across the domains.
(2010-06-13, 09:47 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]^^^
FYI: He's working with a single login to all sub-domains; Setting multiple cookies to work over multiple domains is a security risk, and not easy to do.
Agreed, thanks.
(2010-06-13, 02:28 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, if only the feature to add domains to each sub was available it would be quite usefull to me.
Not sure what you mean here. Example?
Any update about this plugin? Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4