MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Closing Threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-06-25, 07:56 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 04:31 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Staff here has a long history of closing threads with discussions they don't agree with. I don't see this as anything new.
Would you rather we let some of these discussions continue, so that people can come and find it and read up on all the wrong sorts of information and make ill-advised judgements about us and what we stand for?

People decide how good forum software is by the contents of their general discussions board?
We should just have a spam section... Members only, so it won't influence guests. If people don't want to view it they can come to chit chat instead.
(2010-06-25, 08:03 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]People decide how good forum software is by the contents of their general discussions board?
I admit that it was not the best example, nor what I intended to say. Well at least not fully anyway.
(I was referring to threads that were closed earlier regarding paid/free plugins and legal issues, etc. before they knew all the details.)

How do you think people perceive us a group? Would I be right in saying "immature"? Because that's all that I hear both on these forums from frustrated members and on other forums, sites...
Of course they are right.

We want to change this. We're not introducing any new forum section for spam or allowing the same type of "testing and trashing" forum. Instead of spamming threads members should be aiming to provide support and discuss forums, plugins, themes, servers, hosts, as these forums are intended to do. Of course there is space for other discussion not relating to the those things, that is what Chit-Chat should be for.

As I've mentioned, perhaps we need to close less threads in future. Between introducing new staff and re-thinking our moderating policies, things may be a little bit of a mess. However, I do not think anyone has been wronged thus far.
The first post of that thread was kinda rude, a change could have been suggested by RPicard. Closing the thread was too much imo, just like the warning he gave someone the other day and Matt had to revoke it. There seems to be an issue here
I didn't say we were perfect. Things are continually being discussed in the staff forums also.

Fear not, we are not here to annoy you guys, contrary to popular belief. Big Grin
(2010-06-25, 10:42 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't say we were perfect. Things are continually being discussed in the staff forums also.

Fear not, we are not here to annoy you guys, contrary to popular belief. Big Grin

Sure, and I hope RPicard also "learns" something from this thread so he doesn't make the same mistake in the future. When it comes to that kind of threads, I believe he should first contact another staff member and ask for his opinion.
(2010-06-25, 10:18 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]...
How do you think people perceive us a group? Would I be right in saying "immature"? Because that's all that I hear both on these forums from frustrated members and on other forums, sites...
Of course they are right.

We want to change this. We're not introducing any new forum section for spam or allowing the same type of "testing and trashing" forum. Instead of spamming threads members should be aiming to provide support and discuss forums, plugins, themes, servers, hosts, as these forums are intended to do. Of course there is space for other discussion not relating to the those things, that is what Chit-Chat should be for.

I personnaly think that the staff have to be carefull between doing moderation and censorship!

I agree with you that the first impression of a mature person reading these forums for the first time, will be to consider that most of the participant are immature and that the staff must also be, because they allow these posts to continue and often they participate in them...

As an example, I never saw in any other software application forums, members asking how to deal with their girlfriend problems in all my life! These discussions should be private, they have nothing to do with the purpose of those forums...

The best solution to keep a forum on the right track for its purpose of promoting and supporting an application, seem to not have a "chit-chat" forum at all. This way the posts would get less out of hand...

Another issue here is the "conflict of interest", because some moderator and other staff member have the possibility to moderate and close their own threads doing promotion for their own interest...

This is very unfair for all the other members of this community not having the same possibilities and beeing sometime victims of the same staff closing their threads for no valid reasons...

Everyone have to agree that clear rules must be drawn, that will apply to all members of this community including staff.

If MyBB management want to have a professional and mature image for the outside world looking at the content of their forums, they will have to implement huge changes that will be difficult for the young members here including staff.

If instead they want to keep a fun place for all users of MyBB forums to enjoy and fool around, then they will have to accept the reputation coming with it.

You cannot keep "the goat and the cabbage" for long, one day or another one of them will disappear...

Cool
(2010-06-25, 02:09 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone have to agree that clear rules must be drawn, that will apply to all members of this community including staff.

If MyBB management want to have a professional and mature image for the outside world looking at the content of their forums, they will have to implement huge changes that will be difficult for the young members here including staff.

If instead they want to keep a fun place for all users of MyBB forums to enjoy and fool around, then they will have to accept the reputation coming with it.

I find it increasingly funny that for the past 7 years prior to now, the same rules have been in place, and all was fine until the recent flow of immature members have come (the past year or two). And now it's the Staffs fault because they "can't accept the reputation that comes with a fun environment." Yet no one is telling the immature people, actually making this forum less enjoyable, to grow up.

Yet, when they try to change things to make it more enjoyable for those of us who actually want to browse without reading some idiotic, immature posts in every thread, they are now "censoring people".

It's not fair that the staff are in this predicament because the member base here can't grow up and act their ages.
(2010-06-25, 02:42 PM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 02:09 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone have to agree that clear rules must be drawn, that will apply to all members of this community including staff.

I find it increasingly funny that for the past 7 years prior to now, the same rules have been in place, and all was fine until the recent flow of immature members have come (the past year or two). And now it's the Staffs fault because they "can't accept the reputation that comes with a fun environment." Yet no one is telling the immature people, actually making this forum less enjoyable, to grow up.

Yet, when they try to change things to make it more enjoyable for those of us who actually want to browse without reading some idiotic, immature posts in every thread, they are now "censoring people".

It's not fair that the staff are in this predicament because the member base here can't grow up and act their ages.

It looks like some of those immature members have made their way into the staff. You can''t close a thread on a whim. And did you see how the same person gave a warning to Aaron for nothing at all that even the Leadt Support had to revoke it?
(2010-06-25, 03:04 PM)tarekovski Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like some of those immature members have made their way into the staff. You can''t close a thread on a whim. And did you see how the same person gave a warning to Aaron for nothing at all that even the Leadt Support had to revoke it?

I did see that, and it was taken care of, so no longer an issue.

Also, I'm not saying the staff should be trigger happy with their moderation, I'm just saying it goes both ways.

Post with some sensibility and maturity and the Mods won't have to be so trigger happy all the time.

Also, they -can- close a thread on a whim. It is, after all, their forum. They are free to moderate as they see fit, just as you are on your own forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4