MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Closing Threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-06-25, 03:06 PM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 03:04 PM)tarekovski Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like some of those immature members have made their way into the staff. You can''t close a thread on a whim. And did you see how the same person gave a warning to Aaron for nothing at all that even the Leadt Support had to revoke it?

I did see that, and it was taken care of, so no longer an issue.

Also, I'm not saying the staff should be trigger happy with their moderation, I'm just saying it goes both ways.

Post with some sensibility and maturity and the Mods won't have to be so trigger happy all the time.

Also, they -can- close a thread on a whim. It is, after all, their forum. They are free to moderate as they see fit, just as you are on your own forum.

I have to disagree with the last part of your post. MyBB should be holding itself to a higer standard than the avarage forums of the general users.

And the other thing, it shouldn''t have happened in the first place. Have a look around at how many useful members this communtiy has lost because of such behaviour, like Yummi, Zacher, Babjusi and now Aaron. And I am feeling that some other useful and helpful members who still are here are not too happy with the current situation here. If the most useful and helpful members leave then it is natural that the community will downgrade to the immature users.
(2010-06-25, 03:04 PM)tarekovski Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like some of those immature members have made their way into the staff. You can''t close a thread on a whim. And did you see how the same person gave a warning to Aaron for nothing at all that even the Leadt Support had to revoke it?

I can't agree with you on that. Just because it's past and has been resolved (RPicard lost some respect from the community since Matt has overridden his action - not sure if it's correctly written in English), it doesn't mean it won't be repeated and we've seen something similar again..
We are told/know to close threads that may go off topic. We will not "bash" other scripts because all scripts are good in their own way.
Quote:Everybody loves a bit of randomness, care to share yours?

So randomness no longer includes posting off topic?
(2010-06-25, 02:42 PM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-25, 02:09 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone have to agree that clear rules must be drawn, that will apply to all members of this community including staff.

If MyBB management want to have a professional and mature image for the outside world looking at the content of their forums, they will have to implement huge changes that will be difficult for the young members here including staff.

If instead they want to keep a fun place for all users of MyBB forums to enjoy and fool around, then they will have to accept the reputation coming with it.

I find it increasingly funny that for the past 7 years prior to now, the same rules have been in place, and all was fine until the recent flow of immature members have come (the past year or two). And now it's the Staffs fault because they "can't accept the reputation that comes with a fun environment." Yet no one is telling the immature people, actually making this forum less enjoyable, to grow up.

Yet, when they try to change things to make it more enjoyable for those of us who actually want to browse without reading some idiotic, immature posts in every thread, they are now "censoring people".

It's not fair that the staff are in this predicament because the member base here can't grow up and act their ages.
Ryan don't even argue about it, I am afraid they will never learn. As a staff member I simply follow the rules that the management told me to follow. I might disagree with some and I might agree with some but that's none of your business and neither it's mine. I might disagree with a certain rule we enforce here at MyBB but I still carry it out as I got ordered to follow the rules. As a staff member, if I would disobey those rules myself than I would be giving a bad example. Sure I could be the "cool Cool" staff member that is more relaxed but I am sure the members will just abuse that.

The point is I am just an member that follows the rules and I think I can speak for most other staff that we set and follow the rules in order to keep a friendly and respectful environment. If you disagree with these rules than be more than welcomed to PM Ryan Loos or Imad Jomaa but please state why and have a valid reason instead of crying "the rules are unfair, staff over moderates, this forums sucks!". This forum is meant for MyBB support and development and is not a chit chat/spam fest forum. If you are here to just talk than find a General Discussion forum.

(2010-06-25, 03:29 PM)tarekovski Wrote: [ -> ]And the other thing, it shouldn''t have happened in the first place. Have a look around at how many useful members this communtiy has lost because of such behaviour, like Yummi, Zacher, Babjusi and now Aaron. And I am feeling that some other useful and helpful members who still are here are not too happy with the current situation here. If the most useful and helpful members leave then it is natural that the community will downgrade to the immature users.
So you are trying tell me that the rules shouldn't apply for the "useful/respected members". That would be totally corrupted. Rules are rules and they apply for everyone. It doesn't matter if your a useful/respected member, staff, or just an member. Everyone should be treated the same.
It is staff policy to close this thread and tell you to contact Ryan Loos or MattRogowski about your issue.

Quote:Do not post on the public forum asking for the reason for specific moderation, warnings, or bans. If it is possible to determine the issuing staff member, please send them a PM asking for a reason. In case you are not satisfied by the response, or the issuing staff member is indeterminable please send a PM to MattRogowski or Ryan Loos.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-55227.html
The rules that we have to enforce state:
Quote:No public discussion of moderation/warning/ban reasons
- Only the person receiving the warning will be explained the reason of the moderation/warning/ban.
- If the complaint/question is in its own thread, close the thread and leave a reply to contact MattRogowski or Ryan Loos over PM.
- If the complaint/question is within a thread, delete the posts (since these usually derail the thread) and send a PM to the user;
This thread should have been closed from the beginning.
(2010-06-25, 02:42 PM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]I find it increasingly funny that for the past 7 years prior to now, the same rules have been in place, and all was fine until the recent flow of immature members have come (the past year or two). And now it's the Staffs fault because they "can't accept the reputation that comes with a fun environment." Yet no one is telling the immature people, actually making this forum less enjoyable, to grow up.

Yet, when they try to change things to make it more enjoyable for those of us who actually want to browse without reading some idiotic, immature posts in every thread, they are now "censoring people".

It's not fair that the staff are in this predicament because the member base here can't grow up and act their ages.

For what it's worth, I agree with this. I've been staff here since December 2008. Since then the rules have stayed more or less the same. On the whole I have not done my job any differently. On the whole we, as a team, have not been doing our jobs any differently. The only thing that's changed is the community itself. These past few months it seems every day there's disputes and people complaining about various things. It wasn't always like this and we haven't changed anything. All we are doing is clearing up after these things. If we didn't have anything to take action over, people wouldn't have any actions to disagree with. Having an opinion and voicing it is one thing, but making threads every time someone gets banned, or every time a thread is closed (not necessarily referring to this thread) when it wasn't your thread, had nothing to do with you and involved you in no way whatsoever, is just causing more problems than it's trying to solve. You moderate your forums how you see fit, we moderate our forums how we see fit. Questioning every decision we make is not going to work.

(2010-06-25, 04:24 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]

I can't agree with you on that. Just because it's past and has been resolved (RPicard lost some respect from the community since Matt has overridden his action - not sure if it's correctly written in English), it doesn't mean it won't be repeated and we've seen something similar again..

Can I just say that that isn't what I intended my post to do at all. I didn't phrase it well and I've discussed it briefly with RPicard. Nobody should have lost any respect for anyone. I had actions undone when I first started. I'm sure Dennis, Ryan, whoever else had actions undone when they started. If any of you were staff here, you would have actions undone.

If you feel like you have personally suffered some sort of injustice you are perfectly entitled to take it up with the relevant staff members, but making threads and asking about issues with other people that you are not involved with should be avoided.
Pages: 1 2 3 4