MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about my purchase...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is this laptop good enough? I need it for gaming on Counter Strike: Source and Modern Warfare 2. I also need it for having minimum 4 programs running (AIM, MSN, Photoshop, Firefox, etc.) without ANY sort of lag when I switch between them.

Thanks in advance, I am not familiar with all this computer reference so all feedback would be great before I purchase it Smile
My advice, don't get a dell. Apart from my opinion, yes i'm pretty sure you should be able to if you get the 4 gigs and the I5 Also depends what photoshop, how many tabs. Not sure about the video card, so i won't comment. I don't use laptops to game anymore :p
I'll be using PS CS3 and is why don't you recommend dell? Any other brands you want to recommend Wink
Hard Drive is lacking I'd go no less than 500 GB for a new laptop, and I don't like "Up to 4GB DDR3" for RAM. Basically means you can get that if you want, but it won't be for $799.

I also have a dire hatred for Dell. Every Dell I've seen has maxed out at 5 years of life, then it just dies a slow, painful death. Whereas my HP, as well as others owned by other people purchased around the same time, are still going strong.

I just picked something similar to this HP Laptop, for a friend of mine. The base model only gives you an Intel i3, but guarantees you at least 4GB of RAM as well as 320 GB Hard Drive space for $100 less. You can also upgrade any spec you want (for example, if you want to compare exact specs/pricing between the Dell and this HP, you would upgrade the HP's Processor to an Intel i5).

For your specific needs, though, it should work just fine. I would consider upgrading to 6GB or 8GB of RAM and 500 GB Hard Drive, though.
Well i'd recomend anything but it. I've personally (and work expierence) never had a dell last through its warrenty. They've all broken before it. A client just dropped one off where i had to replace a new screen, only two years old... And its was a quite decent one.

Although on the same level, my coop boss had his old dell laptop for 7 years no issues.

CS3 should work very well.

My personal recomendation would be the Acer timeline travelmate 8471, because i've been selling those like hot dogs, but i don't think you could game on that well.

Look into this, it seems it will, and i think i might've sold one. http://www.acer.ca/acer/productv.do?Lang...3509366903
Acer's are not Gaming PC's by any means. Everybody I know who has one says it sucks.
(2010-06-25, 03:54 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]Acer's are not Gaming PC's by any means. Everybody I know who has one says it sucks.

I agree. Though i've run quite a few games on my dad's. Including cod 5 at the time. It went fine. I think Cohen has the same one :/
(2010-06-25, 03:51 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]I also have a dire hatred for Dell. Every Dell I've seen has maxed out at 5 years of life, then it just dies a slow, painful death.

5 years is pretty long imho. Plus, technology is moving so fast that in half that time there will be something that's just as good as what you have. But that's just me... I usually buy a new laptop ever 2 1/2 years.
Go with an HP. I love HP, great computer. (Besides Mac of Course =P)
HP FTW! I'm anti-Dell, if you've ever dealt with their phone support you'd understand. On the other hand all of my laptops except 1 were HPs. The one that wasn't was a $2,000 Sony Vaio with top of the line specs at the time, I gave it to my wife after 1 month and got an HP 2133 Mini Note with 1/4th of the performance and 10 times the enjoyment.
Oh, and my wife's first laptop was an Acer and I miss it soooo much! Awesome little laptop and awesome performance for an Intel Dual-Core.
Pages: 1 2 3