MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Showcase Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Currently, the showcase is for people to post a link to their forum and receive feedback. Right now, it's just turning into one enormous flame fest with people just insulting everyone who posts, taking the thread offtopic and getting it locked. It's ridiculous and the major reason for why there are so many people turned away from this community.

All I propose is the following:

1) Disable replies completely OR make it so that thread starter and staff are the only users who can post replies in threads.
2) Get rid of feedback altogether. You have dedicated reviewer sites for this, and MyBB.com certainly shouldn't be one of them, it's very clear nobody gives one inch of respect to other users.

Hopefully, this is considered. A showcase is meant for viewing, NOT for vaguely insulting anyone because their forum isn't to your tastes or that it's just because you run a similar forum that gives you every right to just degrade these potential sites.
I agree the community isn't great in this area but if you make it so they can't reply I say just remove the forum then.
If that's the case, then just call it "Reviewers forum" and let the current situation continue.
This is a forum to get and take ideas. People help others to have a nice site and they get ideas to improve that.
* Leon.P Disagrees.
Maybe you all could just learn not to be so harsh? That would do wonderfully. There are rules. People don't follow.
There should be an option in 2.0 to disallow replies in certain forums if the OP chooses it.

BTW: Staff, please clean and re-open xediogene's CreateBB thread. He doesn't deserve it locked, as it wasn't him in the first place (unless he has specifically told staff to close it Wink
I don't even see why it was moved.
Sometimes I do think it'd be easier to just totally get rid of it. It creates such an unnecessary overhead for us. As I've said before, dealing with issues here is not how we should be spending our time, it is not what we are here for. I also can't help but notice that phpBB and SMF don't have a showcase forum or anything similar, unless I'm just being blind.

I don't know, maybe this sort of thing is better suited to being a third party site. I've got plans to do this at some point, at least if it worked that way, any discussions wouldn't be in the public image of MyBB.

The changes to the rules for General Discussion seem to be doing OK, but the showcase ones don't seem to be doing as well and I'm starting to think it's too much of a touchy subject, and is probably why phpBB and SMF don't bother with it. I'd hoped the new rules would change things but if people still can't follow them and we still have to step in and unapprove/close posts/threads, I don't know how long we can keep changing things for.

It's becoming apparent that people just can't give negative feedback in a positive way.
(2010-08-23, 08:36 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]Currently, the showcase is for people to post a link to their forum and receive feedback. Right now, it's just turning into one enormous flame fest with people just insulting everyone who posts, taking the thread offtopic and getting it locked. It's ridiculous and the major reason for why there are so many people turned away from this community.

A showcase is meant for viewing, NOT for vaguely insulting anyone because their forum isn't to your tastes or that it's just because you run a similar forum that gives you every right to just degrade these potential sites.

A showcase forum is for advertising your forum and getting reviews on it. Now while I believe Bob's post was just a little bit out of hand, he was expressing his opinion on the site. That was his feedback. I also think someone said "revert to the old design or you won't get any members" or something like that. That was feedback to help improve the site. And, ultimately, a thread can get back on topic if lead in the right direction by the mods. It doesn't matter what's posted, a thread can always get back on topic. It's only the mod's decision to lock it, not the users'.

(2010-08-23, 08:36 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]All I propose is the following:

1) Disable replies completely OR make it so that thread starter and staff are the only users who can post replies in threads.
2) Get rid of feedback altogether. You have dedicated reviewer sites for this, and MyBB.com certainly shouldn't be one of them, it's very clear nobody gives one inch of respect to other users.

1) Disable replies? Do you know how much it hurts a newbie if they don't get comments on their forum that they worked so hard on? That would hurt the community even more.

And you know staff aren't going to give hard constructive criticism. They'll be nice about it because they have to. They're staff. If the staff aren't nice to anyone, no new user will return. It's the users that have to give feedback because they don't have to hold up as much reputation as the staff. If a member gets banned, maybe a few people will complain. If a mod gets banned (if possible) or de-modded, everyone will be talking about it.

2) That's some mighty generalization you've got there. You really think no one cares about anyone here? So why is Labrocca one of the most respected members? Why does everyone make 'Happy Birthday' threads? Why does Justin S. seem to be almost god-like to users? Because they care.
Just remove the rules altogether, that will solve everything. Can't break the rules if there aren't any.
Pages: 1 2 3 4