MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whats wrong with MyBB. In your opinion.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-09-25, 02:09 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]In the editor, I hate that you have to manually close the tags. Pretty much every other forum software I've used automatically inserts the closing tag after the cursor.

actually when your in full edit and you select bold if you look just above the telly button you will see close tags appear click on that and it inserts closing tags

Text editor, which does not stretch to 100% and looks ugly - that's the problem.
our plugin system sucks
everytime i update i have nightmares to recovering their data
we need plugin update\install system like in wordpress - there you can search and install and update plugins\themes\etc... via admin panel in one click

To install a theme you need to copy a bunch of files in different folders, and then load xml file...
Theme installation must be in one click and downloaded directly from MyBB server.
1 click installation/removal of themes (like joomla)

1 click installation/removal of mods (see above)

*even though i hate joomla, they do have a good feature every now and again*
(2010-09-25, 02:09 PM)Glas Wrote: [ -> ]our plugin system sucks

lol what?

Depends on the plugin, and your update procedure. You're most likely doingitwrong.
The Community Manager thing has been done to death already and we've already outlined our position on it. We already get enough stick for our decisions, how is lumbering someone who's just joined the team with all the moderation on the forum and putting them right in the firing line going to help anything?? It's not, they're still going to have to ask for help from other staff members, and people are going to disagree with things just as much, there would just be one more person to complain about.

And again, people say the community is a problem. Why is it our fault for moderating slowly or whatever, and not the community's fault for starting the arguments in the first place?? The finger is always pointed at us but who actually starts these arguments?? Certainly not us, yet at the end of the day it becomes our fault. I can't remember who said this, may have been Conor or AJS but I'm not sure; they said that soon after joining the team they realised just how hard it is to manage this place and deal with some of the people here, and what they do; it wasn't until they had to start doing it and being involved in it that they realised this. It's not as easy as you all appear to think it is.

The plugin system is far better than some others I've seen. How often are major upgrades released, every 2 years or so?? For bigger plugins, there's absolutely nothing stopping authors writing scripts to save the data created by the plugin to be able to restore it on the new version. If you're losing data on minor upgrades, you're doing something wrong.

(2010-09-25, 02:16 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]we need plugin update\install system like in wordpress - there you can search and install and update plugins\themes\etc... via admin panel in one click

That would mean we would have to make sure every single plugin and theme was packaged in an exact way, and we would just get a load of support requests from the people using plugins/themes by developers/authors not managing to do this. You'd also need to have the plugins folder CHMOD to 777 or something, would you not?? I don't know if this would be in 2.0 or not, and I'm not against the idea as such, but I could foresee it causing more trouble than it's worth.

(2010-09-25, 02:16 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]To install a theme you need to copy a bunch of files in different folders, and then load xml file...
Theme installation must be in one click and downloaded directly from MyBB server.

It's a load of files to one place, not lots of different folders. If a theme author packages their theme properly, you just need to upload one folder, and import the XML file, taking no more than 60 seconds depending on your upload speed.
Uploading plugins and themes isn't a big hassle, but its a lot easier to just have it do it automatically from the ACP. I love that feature in WordPress. But I get that you guys would get a lot of trouble from the n00bies xD maybe have one or two people dedicated to just that part?

Other then that... I can't really think of anything.
About the chmod thing, I assume so. However you could htaccess disallow acces so it can't actually be seen.
Pages: 1 2 3 4