MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whats wrong with MyBB. In your opinion.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-09-27, 08:52 PM)aglioeolio Wrote: [ -> ]Mybb needs tableless layout possible without 'core' files with 'TD, TR, TABLE' tags

Did someone convince you that tableless layouts are better for SEO? lol
(2010-09-27, 09:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-27, 08:52 PM)aglioeolio Wrote: [ -> ]Mybb needs tableless layout possible without 'core' files with 'TD, TR, TABLE' tags

Did someone convince you that tableless layouts are better for SEO? lol

No but a CSS controlled layout in 2.0 wouldn't hurt. Smile

Also, for me, MyBB lacks the following things that will hopefully be rectified in 2.0:

1. An MVC Framework or other Full OOP based framework.

2. Proper Template Hooking - The Find/Replace function works, but only works if they are running with no HTML changes in the area that needs changed. We've had reports about some plugins not working on skins we create at Audentio because of this. MyBB is already capable of doing this even now, actually.

3. Template Conditionals. The amount of PHP, and quite possibly templates themselves, can actually be cut down if Template Conditionals are implemented. You can cut that down even further by introducing Template Loops.

I was doing plugins for a client at Audentio and these were the major issues I ran into that provided the most headache.
(2010-09-28, 03:54 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]3. Template Conditionals. The amount of PHP, and quite possibly templates themselves, can actually be cut down if Template Conditionals are implemented. You can cut that down even further by introducing Template Loops.

Isn't this a mix of function and design that should not occur?

I always thought that ideally we'd seperate function (php), content (html) and design (css) and at the moment this is given with MyBB (plugins/core, templates, themes).
Quote:No but a CSS controlled layout in 2.0 wouldn't hurt

You can still control most elements with CSS and have tables.

For all of phpbb's tableless layout there isn't any themes I've ever seen for it that couldn't be tables too. It's not like you can creatively place posts all over the place without losing sensible structure. So it's pointless and actually more work.

Quote:1. An MVC Framework or other Full OOP based framework.

MyBB 2.0 should take care of that. Just be patient for a couple years. Smile I 100% agree though. Would like to see MyBB as a framework.

The template hooking is complicated now and should be simplified.

And template conditionals would eliminate the need for lots of little plugins that the only way to add is with an actual plugin. So I'd agree here too that we could use it and imho it will likely be in 2.0 as well.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, User Validations.

Some larger boards will use the manual validation method, and vBulletin makes life the easiest when you can mass select the users and activate at once.

I believe someone made a plugin that did that, but it lacked IP check/matching with existing accounts.

So even if that was used, Mods/Admins would still need to open a separate page to run the IP checks.

Something built-in that displays a page like:

<User Name> | <E-Mail Address> | <IP Address> (This would be a link, and when clicked it would search for matching accounts like vBulletin) | [Check Box]

And at the bottom of the page after the list, there would be options such as:
- Delete all Checked Accounts
- Delete all accounts & E-Mail them why they're deleted (Generic Message that users can change).
- Validate all Checked Accounts.
(2010-09-28, 03:54 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]3. Template Conditionals. The amount of PHP, and quite possibly templates themselves, can actually be cut down if Template Conditionals are implemented. You can cut that down even further by introducing Template Loops.

This, to an extent. I would but I wouldn't like to see everything done via <if>'s and <while>'s. Rather, allow the linking of templates, so you can use <while blah="blah"><template="template_name" /></while>. One of the things I dislike about IPB is how everything is crammed into one template, not to mention the lack of syntax highlighting. Certainly though, some things could be condensed into one template (ie. online status in posts).
Two important template conditions:

If, Else
Include

It would also be nice to be able to set custom variables right in the template (would go along with the above).
Please post suggestions at http://ideas.mybb.com/ or under the Suggestions forum.

No point in turning an entire forum into one jumbled up thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4