MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 16-30 seconds for a post to post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
If optimizing tables via phpMyAdmin is what they are talking about then I do that every other day which as you have mentioned doesn't really do anything.

All I can do is relay what is said in here to KnownHost and then relay KnownHost's replies to here because I don't fully understand what is going on.

Dang it, this doesn't sound good. Who's to say if I switch host that the same thing won't happen again?
(2010-10-29, 07:26 PM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]If optimizing tables via phpMyAdmin is what they are talking about then I do that every other day which as you have mentioned doesn't really do anything.

I guess it depends what they mean by 'optimize'; either optimizing the database itself via the phpMyAdmin option, or optimizing in the way of adding indexes and using more efficient queries. But either way, if you optimize the tables then that's being done, and the tables/indexes and queries themselves can't really be optimized any more than they already are.

I won't start suggesting moving hosts yet in case anybody else has anything to suggest, but from the look of the queries they're saying are causing a problem, it's not something you or we can fix, and seem to be a limit of theirs, whatever it may be.
Honestly, it is sounding a lot like host issues. There are far more complex queries MyBB runs than the ones your host is commenting on. While the MySQL settings you posted are good, that is server-wide and I bet they are oversold.

In your opinion what do you think they know but are not telling me? I really don't want to switch to another host right now.
I thought that what a VPS is for so that you won't be affected by other customers?
Sent yet another support ticket to see if they can optimize the database is question and they are sticking to their guns saying;

"Optimizing queries to database ********_forum will fix the issue. However optimizing database queries from our end is is out of scope. You need to contact developer and have to optimize it. Currently load in the server is normal."

The database in question is the whole mybb forum isn't?

Matt, I know you mentioned that what needs to be indexed is already indexed and something on their end is perhaps not right then they go ahead as say what they said. Being a person with limited knowledge when it comes this this type of stuff I feel that my hands are tied and caught in the middle. I just want for my members to be able to post a thread or reply and not take 10-30 seconds. What would you advise me to do sir?

I ran the "top" command and mysql is at the top, ranging from 10-90% CPU time, with an average of about 30-50%.
review the advanced details in the debug section and find any queries that do not have "possible keys" specified and see if they are more than a simple query (e.g. select xx, yy from table_aa where something or somethingelse). Simple queries should have no 'join' term in them or be associated with more than one table.

If you find complex queries with no 'possible_keys' set, please post those here.
when was the last time you rebooted or restarted mysql? is mysqli installed on your server? try changing to that by editing \inc\config.php and setting

$config['database']['type'] = 'mysqli';

if it is not already.

Here are 5 out of 6 screen shots of my debug info. I could not tell you when the last time mysql has been rebooted or restarted. I know I have never done it. I have no idea what mysqli is. In my inc\config.php I have the below entry.

$config['database']['type'] = 'mysql'; 
there is no 'i' after mysql.

And the last one.
goto ACP >> Tools & Maintenance >> View PHP Info and scroll down to see if you have a mysqli section after the mysql section that is there. if you have a mysqli section, change the config to use mysqli, its a little more efficient.

also, disable that 'overview' plugin and see if load times improve
Changed the config to use mysli, restarted mysql via ssh (root) still not any better.

I have disabled the 'overview' plugin a few times prior to this thread and the site does load somewhat better but it still takes a very long time to post anything.
Try setting the session table to heap (memory) instead of MyISAM

But i think you need to upgrade soon.

(2010-10-30, 06:59 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]Try setting the session table to heap (memory) instead of MyISAM

But i think you need to upgrade soon.

Unfortunately, the session table is already heap (memory).

Upgrade really? Do you mean to upgrade to a different hosting company or upgrade to a better server? Tech support did mention my problem(s) are not due to a lack of memory.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6