MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 16-30 seconds for a post to post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
It's my experience that the bigger the database gets, the more cpu is needed. Plugins add to that. You probably only getting 0.2 - 0.5 cpu or something like that.

So yes upgrading server is needed when a forum is growing and has a lot of activity..

Over the past year i had to upgrade hosting several times because of that..
but 260k posts is not that big. something else is wrong because the debug info looks fine other than the times.
(2010-10-30, 03:01 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]but 260k posts is not that big. something else is wrong because the debug info looks fine other than the times.

I know right? I don't have a very big forum.

Below is the support ticket I sent today as well as their reply to it.

Quote:Morning,

Not only is my site (ej8squad.com) slow but logging in cPanel took at least thirty seconds. Then from cPanel, it took one minutes and nine seconds to login into phpMyAdmin. Why is this happening? I am not sure how much longer I can take this. I would rather stay with you guys but if something doesn't change I will be forced to move and as I have said I really don't want to move.

Thanks,

Jeremy

There reply.

Quote:Hello Jeremy,

As we have mentioned in the previous ticket resource usage of MySQL is very high. You can view the same through WHM>>Main >> Server Status >> Daily Process Log.

As a result load in the server is bit high. Also most of the load is caused by the mysql process as stated earlier.

====
+-------+------------------+-----------+----------------+---------+------+----------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Id | User | Host | db | Command | Time | State | Info |
+-------+------------------+-----------+----------------+---------+------+----------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 37345 | leechprotect | localhost | leechprotect | Sleep | 896 | | |
| 37988 | ********** | localhost | ********** | Query | 3 | Sorting result | SELECT p.pid FROM mybb_posts p WHERE p.tid='5903' AND p.visible='1' ORDER BY p.dateline LIMIT 20, 10 |
| 37991 | ********* | localhost | ********** | Query | 0 | Sending data | SELECT COUNT(p.pid) AS count FROM mybb_posts p
WHERE p.tid='3819'
AND p.pid <= '108805'
|
| 37993 | root | localhost | | Query | 0 | | show processlist |

====

When the load on the server is high, it not only affects the sites hosted on that server, but also results in slowness in loading Cpanel as well as phpMyAdmin. So please optimize the above database with the help of developer to solve the issue.

Thanks,
John
KnownHost support

As you can tell they are sticking to there guns an blaming the a specific mysql process. I am not ready to switch hosts yet only because I am afraid that the problem with move with me.

Please keep the ideas coming.
Turn off your forums via ACP >> Configuration >> Settings >Board Online/Offline and set that to yes. See what your system response is. If it improves (give it a minute for MySQL to free some resources) then contact your host and tell them that you forum is disabled and should not be causing much, if any, load on the server, especially MySQL. At least all the queries they are complaining about will be not the issue.

Interesting idea so I went ahead and closed the bored, logged in via SSH and ran the "top" command.

With the boarded and closed for a few minutes the mysql process never went higher than 1.7% CPU and 11% memory.

With the bored still closed I submitted a test post and watched the mysql go up to 54% CPU and 11% memory. The test post took about 7-8 seconds to post. Deleting the test post made the mysql process go even higher to 76% CPU and again only 11% memory. I posted and deleted a handful of times with the same results.

With the board open the mysql processes are back to the 30-60% CPU range.
have you tried doing an analyze, repair and optimize on all your tables?
(2010-10-30, 09:04 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]have you tried doing an analyze, repair and optimize on all your tables?

I analyze and optimize them every few days and only have repaired the "posts" table. I guess it would hurt to repair all tables. Should I do anything prior to repairing, full backup, or closed the board?
(2010-10-30, 09:15 PM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-10-30, 09:04 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]have you tried doing an analyze, repair and optimize on all your tables?

I analyze and optimize them every few days and only have repaired the "posts" table. I guess it would hurt to repair all tables. Should I do anything prior to repairing, full backup, or closed the board?

Always backup before doing anything..

If you analyze and optimize every few days, repairing won't be of much use..

I guess the only way of finding out if your board somehow got wonky, or that your host is ****, is testing your forum on another host.

Still trying to figure out why it takes soooooo long to submit a post.
I can't see it being anything other than a host issue. You should look for someone willing to host your site for a few days so you can test on another host.

buy a cheap domain for a year and copy your site to a new host. leave your old host/site alone. if the new setup works much faster, then move permanently.

if it does not work any better, you will only be out $15 or so (domain name plus maybe one month hosting, just dont sign an annual contract)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6