MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tons of FAKE users signing up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Im having this problem too, and all of them register than put this in their sig "are legal buds legal" I have been getting 3 a day, and so far about 7 spambots, very annyoing, and all of them have the same sig

I banned a few, but it wont really help, as they use different ips... getting really annoying. http://planetgamers.org/memberlist.php
(2010-11-13, 03:40 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much all forums are targeted.

In fact, in a web design class I took in 2006, the instructor told us he had students that would do specifically that all day in class & when they got home.

Because they earned from hundreds to thousands of dollars monthly just by spamming like that.

So really, believe that it's not a bot & actually people doing this.

Wow that is pretty gay. Thanks for the info. Was there a way to stop this?

All forums will get hit by spam, and as I said, if humans are registering them, there is pretty much nothing you can do. You could put a quadratic equation on the registration page, if the person signing up knows how to do it, they'll be able to get past it. If there was a hard and fast way to stop spam, everybody would be doing it and spam wouldn't exist. Really what you need to do is jut be vigilant and ban/delete them quickly. The Stop Forum Spam plugin and reCAPTCHA etc will only do so much, they won't stop everything.
Thanks! Installed the Recapcha ver 2 and its really didn't make a difference. had 4 more signups on the 17th. I made a little adjustment in the myBB code for the ban page...now its been quiet for a couple days.

(I found a nice way to nail the pricks back LOL) For the pesky ones that keep using the same IP's from outside the USA, I'm using the IP ban. Then it sends those IP blocked users to a nice website filled with viruses and that wonderful "Fake AV". Seems to have slowed it down a bit. Toungue
Do you require email verification?
Email verification and reCAPTCHA should slow them down.
Also, disallow ALL spam email services such as mailinator.
I also recommend installing Fassim Anti-Spam and blocking foreign countries, it also has a database of proxy IPs and spam emails to block from your forum, very helpful.
Yes, using email verification. Some emails are actually "good" and the fake user actually clicks on the verification email. Others are just left waiting activation. Those left waiting still show up on the members list and new members who joined or I would not care as much about them.

If I use mailinator, that would block a ton of ligitimate members because most use yahoo, aol, or hotmail for forums.

I will checkout the Fassim Anti-Spam. That is one I have not heard of yet.
Thanks!
(2010-11-21, 11:47 PM)ebturner Wrote: [ -> ]I use mailinator, that would block a ton of ligitimate members because most use yahoo, aol, or hotmail for forums.
That didn't make much sense.
Go ahead and block mailinator, it brings nothing but trouble.
It was actually MADE for spamming purposes, as you can read on their website.
But that's your own decision.
What you're dealing with is real people and NOT spam bots.
I suggest requiring administrator activation for accounts temporarily if anti-spam doesn't do the trick.
Sorry Cooldude, I thought that was a program to block certain FREE email services. Yes, you are right...block Mailinator emails. Actually, I don't have any members using that, nor any fake ones using that service either. Most of the fakes are gmail, yahoo, and hotmail of course.

Just installed the Fassim....just waiting on an API key now. Thanks for the tip!

(2010-11-22, 12:16 AM)ebturner Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Cooldude, I thought that was a program to block certain FREE email services. Yes, you are right...block Mailinator emails. Actually, I don't have any members using that, nor any fake ones using that service either. Most of the fakes are gmail, yahoo, and hotmail of course.

Just installed the Fassim....just waiting on an API key now. Thanks for the tip!
In that case, just make an administrator have to verify new account registrations.
When you get your Fassim API key, it has something called "Block by country code" which will block anyone from the selected country from registering.
Assuming your board is in the English language and is meant for people who speak English, I would just block all foreign countries, as you rarely see a proxy based in the USA.
(2010-11-22, 12:20 AM)Cooldude170 Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming your board is in the English language and is meant for people who speak English, I would just block all foreign countries, as you rarely see a proxy based in the USA.

You realize people all over the world speak English, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 4