MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tons of FAKE users signing up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I would not say that.... I can give you a ton of US based proxies. Been seeing many from California and NY lately. They are everywhere, just many more are overseas where there is less chance of being shut down. again thanks for the help! much appreciated!
(2010-11-22, 12:22 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-22, 12:20 AM)Cooldude170 Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming your board is in the English language and is meant for people who speak English, I would just block all foreign countries, as you rarely see a proxy based in the USA.

You realize people all over the world speak English, right?
No, English is said to be one of the hardest languages to comprehend, therefor mostly US England UK and Canada know it.
(2010-11-22, 12:27 AM)Cooldude170 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-22, 12:22 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-11-22, 12:20 AM)Cooldude170 Wrote: [ -> ]Assuming your board is in the English language and is meant for people who speak English, I would just block all foreign countries, as you rarely see a proxy based in the USA.

You realize people all over the world speak English, right?
No, English is said to be one of the hardest languages to comprehend, therefor mostly US England UK and Canada know it.

Wow.

Yes, those countries are countries with the largest concentrations of English speakers but people all over the world speak English.
I know this is WAY off topic but how did you get the forum stats set up the way you have it? Thanks man.
Hello,

I have experienced "SPAMMERS" so much so they crippled a phpbb forum I had.

With permission I will start a board dedicated to Spam. While I look for those to help me develope a web based demo of a new desktop app. for detecting spammers both robot and human. It is in beta. I have approached the author and have his permission. Please be aware this will be a paid script with a free web demo. This will only be available to Mybb support forum members.

Just alittle on the subject. When you have a registrant that completes validation email but doesnt post. That was the specifc goal to find forums that employ validation. In China where a quarter is lot of money, they set up a room of stations and pay per validation. They stock pile these and they are sold to techs that write programs to spam these forums at a later date on a mass scale.

First I have to get permission as not to step on MyBB toes.
Just install a ton of anti-spam, require reCAPTCHA, a random question on registration, email verification (Blocking auto mail systems like mailinator), block foreign countries, that should REALLY slow the spammers down.
Some people are so good that they can still register when you disable registration, they just inject an account into your MySQL database.
Although, i'm not sure MyBB has this vulnerability, but I know it was common in phpBB, as my forum was exploited a lot with that.
Hey guys,

Instead of starting my own thread about this I decided it might be best to just use a pre-existing one. Now I know every forum service is getting these spammers. I had a total of three myself while using SMF.

However, with MyBB I've been getting a lot. Much more than I've ever seen. This is annoying to say the least but not something I couldn't handle. However, there is now something I cannot handle.

Somehow these bots/humans/trolls/whatever are sending or submitting emails to my actual server host. Like I'm not sure what is going on here but I got this in an email response from my own server:

Quote:From: [email protected]
To [email protected] [Note: We do not have a PHP@ email address]

Your message has been received by neon.futurequest.net but has been undeliverable to the following recipients for at least 2 hours.The mail system will continue to attempt to deliver your message to these recipients for a total of 2 days. You do not need to resend your message at this time.

Recipient(s):[email protected]

--- Below this line is a copy of the original message.
Received: (qmail 27221 invoked by uid 47839); 27 Nov 2010 03:49:11 -0000

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

h=Date:ToConfusedubject:From:Reply-To:Message-ID:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:[Note: I cut this line because it broke your table layout. You guys really need to lower your word wrap settings.]

X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:MIME-Version:Content-Type;s=default; d=killaXgirlz.com;[Note: I cut this line because it broke your table layout. You guys really need to lower your word wrap settings.]

b=eWUa6ZgUEeWEFKFe6uo1jJmB/Ka/Ol0zRs7EEdCbEATPeEsalFpdLmFjstagTyXVuDzevhNYI4D9qdSk2pufYWMPDY8DYLx/
IVrGbnqVqBzPjS3oJlihjDzrOcpr8UTW8hX1b+p04zUaHMEQ58D/NdS6Wsng5XWXb3yUd0Ez9U4=;[Note: I cut this line because it broke your table layout. You guys really need to lower your word wrap settings.]

Date: 27 Nov 2010 03:49:11 -0000
To: [email protected]
Subject: Account Activation at killaXgirlz
Reply-To: [email protected]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: MyBB
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Ualiev2017,

To complete the registration process on killaXgirlz, you will need to go to the URL below in your web browser.

http://killaXgirlz.com/forum/member.php?...e=bBvKIGIe

If the above link does not work correctly, go to

http://killaXgirlz.com/forum/member.php?action=activate

You will need to enter the following:
Username: Ualiev2017
Activation Code: bBvKIGIe

Thank you,
killaXgirlz Staff

I have gotten this twice now. And I guess I'm afraid of getting some sort of unfavorable response from my host. I have had good relations with them for the past two years.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of what this could be. I came to one possible conclusion but I guess I need your expert help to set me straight.

Does the registration php scripting create a dummy type email named PHP@websitedomain? I'd like to know how the registration process works since I'm pretty horrible at reading code. When someone signs up to the forum what actually happens?

If that email is invalid what happens? Does the script somehow try to send a "unsent" type email back to PHP@domain name?

The only thing I can think of is that our admin account (being a catchall) is catching emails being sent to invalid domain addresses and sending an auto-response back out. In which case, the host address is receiving the auto response and sending back out it's own auto response. Let the game of PONG begin.

This is quite obnoxious. But this is just my theory. I do not know the actual truth and that is why I'm hoping you guys whom understand the MyBB code may be able to help here.
(2010-11-27, 08:38 AM)Isabel Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,

Instead of starting my own thread about this I decided it might be best to just use a pre-existing one. Now I know every forum service is getting these spammers. I had a total of three myself while using SMF.

However, with MyBB I've been getting a lot. Much more than I've ever seen. This is annoying to say the least but not something I couldn't handle. However, there is now something I cannot handle.

Somehow these bots/humans/trolls/whatever are sending or submitting emails to my actual server host. Like I'm not sure what is going on here but I got this in an email response from my own server:

Quote:From: [email protected]
To [email protected] [Note: We do not have a PHP@ email address]

Your message has been received by neon.futurequest.net but has been undeliverable to the following recipients for at least 2 hours.The mail system will continue to attempt to deliver your message to these recipients for a total of 2 days. You do not need to resend your message at this time.

Recipient(s):[email protected]

--- Below this line is a copy of the original message.
Received: (qmail 27221 invoked by uid 47839); 27 Nov 2010 03:49:11 -0000

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

h=Date:ToConfusedubject:From:Reply-To:Message-ID:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:[Note: I cut this line because it broke your table layout. You guys really need to lower your word wrap settings.]

X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:MIME-Version:Content-Type;s=default; d=killaXgirlz.com;[Note: I cut this line because it broke your table layout. You guys really need to lower your word wrap settings.]

b=eWUa6ZgUEeWEFKFe6uo1jJmB/Ka/Ol0zRs7EEdCbEATPeEsalFpdLmFjstagTyXVuDzevhNYI4D9qdSk2pufYWMPDY8DYLx/
IVrGbnqVqBzPjS3oJlihjDzrOcpr8UTW8hX1b+p04zUaHMEQ58D/NdS6Wsng5XWXb3yUd0Ez9U4=;[Note: I cut this line because it broke your table layout. You guys really need to lower your word wrap settings.]

Date: 27 Nov 2010 03:49:11 -0000
To: [email protected]
Subject: Account Activation at killaXgirlz
Reply-To: [email protected]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: MyBB
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Ualiev2017,

To complete the registration process on killaXgirlz, you will need to go to the URL below in your web browser.

http://killaXgirlz.com/forum/member.php?...e=bBvKIGIe

If the above link does not work correctly, go to

http://killaXgirlz.com/forum/member.php?action=activate

You will need to enter the following:
Username: Ualiev2017
Activation Code: bBvKIGIe

Thank you,
killaXgirlz Staff

I have gotten this twice now. And I guess I'm afraid of getting some sort of unfavorable response from my host. I have had good relations with them for the past two years.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of what this could be. I came to one possible conclusion but I guess I need your expert help to set me straight.

Does the registration php scripting create a dummy type email named PHP@websitedomain? I'd like to know how the registration process works since I'm pretty horrible at reading code. When someone signs up to the forum what actually happens?

If that email is invalid what happens? Does the script somehow try to send a "unsent" type email back to PHP@domain name?

The only thing I can think of is that our admin account (being a catchall) is catching emails being sent to invalid domain addresses and sending an auto-response back out. In which case, the host address is receiving the auto response and sending back out it's own auto response. Let the game of PONG begin.

This is quite obnoxious. But this is just my theory. I do not know the actual truth and that is why I'm hoping you guys whom understand the MyBB code may be able to help here.

Are you using PHP or SMTP mail under your mail settings?

I wouldn't worry about the above message since its a standard delayed-delivery message from the mail server that handles the sending of your email. What the message is telling you is that it had a problem sending the email to [email protected]. You should have a new user registered with this email. The mail did not fail though, but could not go through for some reason after trying for 2 hours, if after 2days it still keeps failing then the message will fail and will not be sent.

This would escalate to a problem if you repeatedly got this mail for different email addresses over a short period of time.

EDIT: The reason its coming from PHP@.... is coz it seems your host has a setup that automatically identifies mail sent from php scripts as coming from php@... It is not default for MyBB or PHP to set the return address as php@...
Ok thanks that helps some. But it also does bring up my major concern. That this may happen often. It's happened twice already. And the new user whose email could not be sent to is of course one of those spamming jerkoffs.

I swear if these are real people I'd like to meet one and just rip his grape off. We don't need such types reproducing other like minded retards.

PS- I think it's SMTP but I don't remember off hand. I'd have to go log in and all that and I'm way too lazy to do that right now.
(2010-11-22, 04:47 AM)360Gaming Wrote: [ -> ]I know this is WAY off topic but how did you get the forum stats set up the way you have it? Thanks man.

Which part? The section with the globe? (that was some programming added to the configuration files, no "install" available)

Or do you mean the add-on module which shows the most popular posts & other stats? (this is called PROSTATS and can be downloaded from the myBB community)

Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4