MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Decent Ipad alternative
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2010-12-09, 04:11 PM)BreadTM Wrote: [ -> ]i'd rather wait for the blackberry playbook or get an android powered tablet, but i would never get a tablet. i'm just not one of those people who need an extra portable device like that.

Do you live in canada? If not, i advise you NOT to get a blackberry anything Big Grin (unless its wifi only Wink)
(2010-12-09, 05:32 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-09, 04:11 PM)BreadTM Wrote: [ -> ]i'd rather wait for the blackberry playbook or get an android powered tablet, but i would never get a tablet. i'm just not one of those people who need an extra portable device like that.

Do you live in canada? If not, i advise you NOT to get a blackberry anything Big Grin (unless its wifi only Wink)

i don't live in canada, haha. i actually didn't like blackberries at all until about a year ago. i was due for an upgrade and being on at&t, they didn't have any android phones yet, so it was either an iphone, blackberry, windows mobile, or feature phone. i got the bold 9700 and besides the limited app selection, i've loved it.
The day I use anything BlackBerry is the day the moon falls out of the sky.

As for Windows, I know they've made 7 more tablet friendly, but I don't see how things like the toolbar buttons (File/Edit etc and New/Open/Save etc) are going to be easy to click, and how the whole system will be easy to use on a handheld touchscreen device. My understanding is that it's not a version of Windows 7 with a modified UI to make these things easier to use, it's just Windows 7, and I don't want to have to use a stylus or something.

I'm sure Android is a great OS but, as I've said before, I can't stand how their versioning and update system works, I just could not live with it. Plus a lot of the reviews I've read say that the Galaxy Tab isn't as good as the iPad usability wise.

With iOS I'd have something that I know how to use, and that I like. That's all I'd want. I wouldn't want a tablet that is a full-on computer with Windows, if I wanted that, I'd have a laptop.
(2010-12-09, 05:40 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]The day I use anything BlackBerry is the day the moon falls out of the sky.

As for Windows, I know they've made 7 more tablet friendly, but I don't see how things like the toolbar buttons (File/Edit etc and New/Open/Save etc) are going to be easy to click, and how the whole system will be easy to use on a handheld touchscreen device. My understanding is that it's not a version of Windows 7 with a modified UI to make these things easier to use, it's just Windows 7, and I don't want to have to use a stylus or something.

I'm sure Android is a great OS but, as I've said before, I can't stand how their versioning and update system works, I just could not live with it. Plus a lot of the reviews I've read say that the Galaxy Tab isn't as good as the iPad usability wise.

With iOS I'd have something that I know how to use, and that I like. That's all I'd want. I wouldn't want a tablet that isa full-on computer with Windows, if I wanted that, I'd have a laptop.

Apple fanboys aren't welcome. That's why Chris isn't on the team any more, not because he's busy with uni! GO. SCRAM. No, okay, you make some good points. I do enjoy my iPad a lot, but there are some things I wish it could do that I'd need something like a laptop for. Ah well, no tablet is perfect .. Yet.
(2010-12-09, 05:24 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Windows is slow enough on desktops, I don't want to even try it on a tablet.

Please re-evaluate using modern software on modern hardware. Anyone could say the same thing about anything.

/winfag
(2010-12-09, 05:40 PM)BreadTM Wrote: [ -> ]

i don't live in canada, haha. i actually didn't like blackberries at all until about a year ago. i was due for an upgrade and being on at&t, they didn't have any android phones yet, so it was either an iphone, blackberry, windows mobile, or feature phone. i got the bold 9700 and besides the limited app selection, i've loved it.

You do realize that all of your calls and text messages are routed through Canada, so it is affected by Canada's privacy laws. Meaning a government in another country can do whatever they like with your messages etc... Smile Basically the canadian government can read your messages and record your calls.
Are you saying this is a problem only in Canada? Otherwise, I really don't see your point.
(2010-12-09, 09:37 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-09, 05:40 PM)BreadTM Wrote: [ -> ]

You do realize that all of your calls and text messages are routed through Canada, so it is affected by Canada's privacy laws. Meaning a government in another country can do whatever they like with your messages etc... Smile Basically the canadian government can read your messages and record your calls.

i don't think calls and text messages are, because i can make calls and send texts when the BIS servers are offline/down.
either way, it doesn't bother me.

(2010-12-09, 09:55 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying this is a problem only in Canada? Otherwise, I really don't see your point.

+1.
(2010-12-09, 05:11 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-09, 12:08 PM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-08, 08:37 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Should've gotten an iPad. Why would you want a slate running Windows?
Why would you want a slate running anything Apple?

Because I judge the software on its individual merits rather than the company who designed it. Windows is not made for a touch interface.

That's like saying pizza was not made to have chicken just because the first pizzas did not have chicken.
(2010-12-09, 10:15 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]That's like saying pizza was not made to have chicken just because the first pizzas did not have chicken.

I don't think that's the same thing at all. Windows 7 and OS X are desktop OSs, iOS and Android are mobile OSs. In the same way iOS and Android wouldn't work on a desktop, I don't see how Windows would work on a tablet. If you've got, say, a 9" touch screen, how can you click things precisely when you'd usually have a much larger screen and a mouse?? If you had one of the new computers that runs Windows and has a full sized touchscreen, that's different, but a small one won't be as easy to use.

It's like using an iPhone to browse the internet and visiting two sites, one of which is a normal site, and one of which is a mobile site. You may well be able to physically use the normal site, but the mobile site will be a hell of a lot easier to use. Likewise, you may well be able to physically use a desktop OS on a handheld tablet, but it won't be as easy to use as a mobile OS.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5