MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Photos taken from your mobile can reveal your address!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
People always need to be careful with posting their photos to places like FaceBook. But today is the first time I learned that photos taken from a GPS enabled device, such as a mobile phone, can actually include a geo-tag that can reveal your address.
Quote:When Adam Savage, host of the popular science program “MythBusters,” posted a picture on Twitter of his automobile parked in front of his house, he let his fans know much more than that he drove a Toyota Land Cruiser. Embedded in the image was a geotag, a bit of data providing the longitude and latitude of where the photo was taken. Hence, he revealed exactly where he lived.

Read more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/techno....html?_r=1
o_O Thanks for the info Wink
Your welcome Wink
Yup, my phone adds geotags to images, but I have that specific feature disabled =P
iPhones do that I think, I can check where I took a picture Toungue the fire department can't fin my house and thee are like 100m down the street, so I doubt anyone will find my house Wink
this is common knowledge...that's why you use a digital camera instead of a cell phone O.o
(2010-12-10, 04:28 PM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]this is common knowledge...that's why you use a digital camera instead of a cell phone O.o

Because, you know, everyone carries around a digital camera wherever they go. Oh wait, no they don't.

I noticed this feature on the iPhone and iTouch iirc but always turned it off. Do not want everything I do given a location.
(2010-12-10, 09:11 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-10, 04:28 PM)~Rs Wrote: [ -> ]this is common knowledge...that's why you use a digital camera instead of a cell phone O.o

Because, you know, everyone carries around a digital camera wherever they go. Oh wait, no they don't.

Yea.
*takes DSLR and Point and Shoot out of backpack*

No there are tons of people that do it. I think almost everyone in my 1st do it.
Thanks for the info, good quality post.
I have disabled all location based services on products that I use.

Don't want Cosa Nostra to find me Undecided
Pages: 1 2 3 4