MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install New Copy Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It's probably easiest to run a merge?
No, the merge system is something totally different, that's to merge two forums together Undecided What's easiest is to do what I said.
Yes but that wouldn't help us clear out the files.
And uploading the new files to upgrade the forum, then deleting files, then uploading new files, and then messing about with the database, and as you're suggesting, running the merge system, would help...?? Undecided

What exactly is wrong with just going through your file system, and deleting what you don't need?? If you really want to, just save the things you need to keep (CSS files, images for your themes, plugin files, plugin language files, uploads) to your computer, delete everything that's in your file system, then upload the 1.6.1 package, reupload those things you saved, and run the upgrade script. Then you'll just have the files you need, nothing else. Why would that not work for you?? That's what I did when I had to clear all the crap out of my file system; saved what I needed to keep, purged everything from the file system, uploaded fresh files and what I saved, and I was back to where I was with no stuff I didn't need. You don't need to run the installer, you don't need to run the merge system.
What I want to do is remove all the files, install 1.6.1, import the database. But as the database is for 1.6 it sounds like I can't do that.

Actually, I could remove all the files, install 1.6, import then upgrade?
You don't need to install 1.6. You just need to upload the fiels for 1.6.1, and upgrade the 1.6.0 database to it.
How can I upgrade the database without installing 1.6?
MattR is saying that you have to upgrade your 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 , No need to install.. You have to take consideration the difference between instal and upgrade.
(2011-01-05, 06:40 PM)Clarkie Wrote: [ -> ]How can I upgrade the database without installing 1.6?

Because the forum is already installed!?!
Installing means it runs code to insert all the tables fresh, which will remove any content you already have, it gives you a totally new fresh empty forum. You have a database from 1.6.0. You will upload the files for 1.6.1. The upgrade script runs code to do stuff to the 1.6.0 database to make it work with the 1.6.1 files. Every time you upgrade, you don't need to fully install the new version, you upgrade to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4