MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can Spambots read the Captcha codes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is there any spambot which be able to read MyBB Captcha code and does an auto-registration?
Isn't Mybb getting multiple spambots daily? If so, they're passing the captcha code and registering so yes, there is.
Yes, they use OCR. Captcha seems to be less efficient daily Confused
Thank you. I just don't get it; if it's not an effective defense against spambots, why is it used in MyBB? Why shouldn't we switch to reCAPTCHA -that is trusted by Google- as a default security feature?
You can use a plugin if you really need it.
Thanks, I know. But I think it's not the best Solution, probably it would be the best Patch.

Off-topic
[attachment=28159]
reCaptcha was broken too Smile

They added some new quirks (character silhouettes etc) to it recently because of that.

MyBB's captcha is old and largely unmodified for ages, all the while spammers come up with better ways to break captchas. Plus MyBB getting more widely popular makes the MyBB captcha a more attractive target for spammers.

There are plugins available to alleviate these issues somewhat.
using reCaptcha by default is not the best idea as it would require the admin to become dependent on a third party and acquire an extra account on that site.

Now having a default option to enable it with built in support for it is a good idea though.
I have a new question that i think will beat 12 year olds and spambots.

Use javascript to have a moving button. Always one px away from the mouse. Tell people to push sumbit. Make the javascript one irelavent, and the actual standard submit.

I may make that actually.
What I like is questions on registration.

One of my favorites we use on SCD...
How much dirt is in a six foot by three foot hole?

Idiots and spam bots alike fail that all the time Smile
Pages: 1 2 3