MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stricter Rules for Plugins & Code Modifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Seems OP has made some incorrect assumptions about releases.

MyBB's already made changes and planning to make more changes. His thread therefor is pointless as it's already being implemented.
(2011-02-03, 07:12 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't say support must be given here, so I'm not infringing any rules here. If you decide to update the rules, I'll delete my threads and will no longer release plugins here, simple as that. I won't give support here otherwise I'll have two places to look for and I do not want that.

I agree with Pirata. Why should he have to give everything away for free? Just being able to download the plugins themselves is extremely nice on his/her part. Why don't you make your own plugins, then you don't have to worry about them not working or not having support for them. Odd enough as it is, developers actually would like to get paid occasionally for putting lots of their time into developing the plugin.
(2011-02-02, 11:10 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Inline Ads for MyBB - requires registration on author's website to download

--> http://mods.mybb.com/view/postad-lite

(2011-02-02, 11:10 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB WYSIWYG Editor 1.0.3 (by MyBBIran.com) - requires registration on author's website to download

--> http://mods.mybb.com/view/mybb-wysiwyg-editor
(2011-02-03, 10:32 PM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-03, 04:33 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you would want plugin authors to wash your clothes too.

Why the pathetic reply....Everyone here is entitled to post their ideas/thoughts/opinions!

Not technically if you follow the laws of thought. Really it just becomes one huge contradictory mix up.

@ OP. I'm gonna start learning so i can attempt to make mock fix ups. I think really if its released and the author abandons after X amount of time it should be claused to become open source.
(2011-02-04, 01:38 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]@ OP. I'm gonna start learning so i can attempt to make mock fix ups. I think really if its released and the author abandons after X amount of time it should be claused to become open source.

That's completely ridiculous and won't get you anywhere besides lawsuits. You can't just remove copyrights and licenses on stuff after a period of time, unless it's OS/licenses to allow it in the first place.
(2011-02-04, 01:38 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-03, 10:32 PM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-03, 04:33 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you would want plugin authors to wash your clothes too.

Why the pathetic reply....Everyone here is entitled to post their ideas/thoughts/opinions!

Not technically if you follow the laws of thought. Really it just becomes one huge contradictory mix up.

@ OP. I'm gonna start learning so i can attempt to make mock fix ups. I think really if its released and the author abandons after X amount of time it should be claused to become open source.

Anything released on the Mods site from here on has to be licensed in a manner that basically allows it to be forked anyways, so you'd just need to fork it. Anything legacy without a license... well... I saw your other thread on that. No comment.
I'm personally okay with the changes MyBB is making here for plugins. How it will change things I can't say for sure. I just don't think it will make a huge difference to paid authors. The well established sites are ...well...well established. Smile
(2011-02-04, 02:21 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-04, 01:38 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]@ OP. I'm gonna start learning so i can attempt to make mock fix ups. I think really if its released and the author abandons after X amount of time it should be claused to become open source.

That's completely ridiculous and won't get you anywhere besides lawsuits. You can't just remove copyrights and licenses on stuff after a period of time, unless it's OS/licenses to allow it in the first place.

You can do anything if you make rules for it. The internet is private property you are bound to the rules where it is uploaded.
Just to let everyone know before too much speculation occurs, we are discussing this internally and I agree that at the very lease the rules in the release forums are poorly written and somewhat ambiguous so I'll most likely rewrite them to make them crystal clear in the near future.
Just realized my comment doesn't really make sense anyways since everything is OS anyways, my bad.
Pages: 1 2 3 4