MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stricter Rules for Plugins & Code Modifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2011-02-04, 01:31 AM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-02, 11:10 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Inline Ads for MyBB - requires registration on author's website to download

--> http://mods.mybb.com/view/postad-lite

(2011-02-02, 11:10 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB WYSIWYG Editor 1.0.3 (by MyBBIran.com) - requires registration on author's website to download

--> http://mods.mybb.com/view/mybb-wysiwyg-editor

Thanks for the corrections; I must have been a bit out of it when perusing the release threads.

(2011-02-04, 04:02 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]Just to let everyone know before too much speculation occurs, we are discussing this internally and I agree that at the very lease the rules in the release forums are poorly written and somewhat ambiguous so I'll most likely rewrite them to make them crystal clear in the near future.

Awesome; glad to hear this!
MyBB is great software but it doesn't have a great community. What I don't like is that there are many shady areas where anyone could use them to their advantage. I give support to myself for this software for a lot of other reasons with this community too. I agree with OP. Either make a special category for those plugins or just give links to those communities. Steven, some rules weren't effectively taken from start of this projects to protect it from outside factors. Gray area is the problem of this software, and it's the thing which allowed for some years for mybbcentral.com and other sites to unjustifiably take the profit for themselves. Unless they are planning to change the license again when they step on the wrong persons nerve. You can label me as a troll, but some things here need to be pointed out.
(2011-02-07, 05:30 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is great software but it doesn't have a great community. What I don't like is that there are many shady areas where anyone could use them to their advantage. I give support to myself for this software for a lot of other reasons with this community too. I agree with OP. Either make a special category for those plugins or just give links to those communities. Steven, some rules weren't effectively taken from start of this projects to protect it from outside factors. Gray area is the problem of this software, and it's the thing which allowed for some years for mybbcentral.com and other sites to unjustifiably take the profit for themselves. Unless they are planning to change the license again when they step on the wrong persons nerve. You can label me as a troll, but some things here need to be pointed out.

I don't label you a troll because you have an opinion. (I label you as a troll since you only return to argue) Even if your wrong.

New license means there is no grey area, at all. Law of the excluded middle takes place. Its either A or B.

So by your logic, Canonical, RedHat, Novell (attachmate now) Oracle(Sun), VMware, should all shut down because they make money off of open source? I hope for your sake you don't live in a capitalistic society.
(2011-02-07, 05:30 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is great software but it doesn't have a great community. What I don't like is that there are many shady areas where anyone could use them to their advantage.

This is natural of OSS, and hardly a problem.

Quote:Either make a special category for those plugins or just give links to those communities.

I would be satisfied with this, but removing 3rd parties from the picture completely is a step backwards imo.

Quote:Steven, some rules weren't effectively taken from start of this projects to protect it from outside factors. Gray area is the problem of this software, and it's the thing which allowed for some years for mybbcentral.com and other sites to unjustifiably take the profit for themselves.

You wouldn't be satisfied even if the gray areas were filled. Your (and several others) idea of gray area is things that go down in ways you don't like. It's been stated numerous times that the MyBB staff doesn't have any issues with people making money on the project (not as a whole but it has been iterated in the past that it's not breaking any rules), but it's become an issue because some users don't like it.

Quote:Unless they are planning to change the license again when they step on the wrong persons nerve.

The license change was a step in the right direction. It eliminated potential and existing issues but also allows MyBB to handle 3rd parties however they choose.

Quote/attack me however you please, but if you're going to argue your personal opinions, than I am going to make it personal as well.
BTW, please specify which font should be used for announcing the new rules.

@Aristotle & Scoutie: Why argue???
(2011-02-07, 05:30 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]Gray area is the problem of this software, and it's the thing which allowed for some years for mybbcentral.com and other sites to unjustifiably take the profit for themselves.

Unjustifiably? Sounds like someone's upset they have to pay for plugins that developers put time into...hmm...

And as Aristotle said already, should OpenOffice, VMWare, or any other popular Open Source project developer be shut down because they make money off of open source? Doesn't make sense to me.. Huh
@fizz: We are not discussing free vs paid here. Plugin authors are soo irresponsible for hosting their own plugins(even if its free).
Some people here didn't understand what I was trying to say. Is it hard to have official MyBB modding communities and to put them in that category with threads, links etc? No. Would it save us time? Yes. If you don't believe my word check the web for the opinion about MyBB community. It's just hard to fit in the community where you don't know what's coming up next. phpBB has good community as well the SMF (excluding the current problems with the fork, license, company change etc). Good software-Bad community, Bad Software-Good Community. Also you don't see RedHat, Novell, Oracle,VmWare running around advertising their products on their competitors websites and boards. Plus the comparison with companies isn't good one, because here we're discussing about product extensions not the product itself. Unfair advantage is unfair advantage. It's hard for small authors to get recognized due to bigger ones in the picture. I don't recall seeing SMF,phpBB, and other mods from modding communities posted on the official forums which lead to their own communities. Either make it centralized or don't allow it.
(2011-02-08, 04:47 AM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-07, 05:30 PM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]Gray area is the problem of this software, and it's the thing which allowed for some years for mybbcentral.com and other sites to unjustifiably take the profit for themselves.
Unjustifiably? Sounds like someone's upset they have to pay for plugins that developers put time into...hmm...
There is a distinction between selling quality product (Video gallery anyone) and giving access to small stuff. Plus I'm not going to place my security into the hands of the author which some of his plugins have security holes(See MyBBHacks.zingaburga.com for more) and is owner of a larger hacking board. Once again, I don't see phpBB,SMF,Vbulletin,IPB staff being friends with the person owning hacking board plus selling the plugins for their product. Inform me when that happens. Selling template edits? Who's crazy to buy that? Unless you're newbie. Someone needs to make money for their hard work, but don't try to foul us. I would rather buy vbgamers45 plugins because I know that when he makes plugin its quality is unquestionable and that the each of his deserves to be bough separately. New plugins with big features and good security practice in mind.
Good bye Smile
(2011-02-08, 11:51 AM)Murloc Wrote: [ -> ]I don't recall seeing SMF,phpBB, and other mods from modding communities posted on the official forums which lead to their own communities. Either make it centralized or don't allow it.

Have you missed the fact that this is pretty much exactly what we have done?? People who run external sites can't just create a release thread that links to their site. The actual plugin/theme has to be available here, it has to be available on the Mods site, and the only thing you can outsource and link to an external site for is support. I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with that. Do you mean you don't even like people linking to another site for just support, even though the actual plugin/theme is freely available to everybody?? They'd already be releasing them free to everybody, how they want to support them is up to them. Not everybody wants to have to check the plugin support forum every so often, and wade through the threads there to see if there's any support threads about nay of their plugins. The plugin/theme/whatever is on this site, they don't need to go anywhere else to get it, it is available here, and it is available free. If you have paid plugins, or they're only available on your site, you cannot advertise them in the release forum. How is that going to make it hard for small authors to get recognised?? If anything it makes it easier for them as the releases forum isn't full of the bigger players linking to their own sites.
Pages: 1 2 3 4