MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyVids - a Video/Media gallery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Thanks yumi. I know I can't compete with xThreads in terms of general usage, but a lot of people don't understand xthreads. Plus, I'd already built a fair amount of the code for a client, so I just ported stuff to a plugin.
I understand all that euantor.
Also, I do not consider any "competition" here. If I did, it really would be trivial for me or anyone really, to write a plugin which performs all the template insertions, requing the admin to know no more than they would to use your code.

What I'm more interested in is what you said earlier
(2011-03-28, 07:34 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I'd seen a few requests for one with more features
Now I'm not going to be a pain and hold this to you, or similar, after all, you have no obligation to implement anything. However, out of interest, if you wouldn't mind disclosing it, what were some of these requested features? I'm always interested in listening to ideas. I presumed that you originally intended to add some functionality beyond what XThreads has to offer, but as I haven't been able to find anything in your current release, I'm interested in hearing what these were.
Mind if I jut point you to one of the request threads? It's a public one so you can see:

http://mybbsource.com/thread-5020.html

I did suggest xThreads as the first port of call in the thread. The client I originally programmed the base for wasn't very tech savvy and wanted something that just worked.
Thanks for the thread.
The only points I picked up were:
  1. Video encoding support
  2. Automatically add videos posted on the forum to the gallery

For the former, I'm doubting most people have the necessary ffmpeg or mencoder setup to accomodate the feature, much less the necessary hardware resources to perform video encoding. And even after that, it can be configuration hell (eg, ffmpeg/mencoder needs to be compiled with libx264 support; you need to ensure all the necessary decoding libraries are available etc). There's also a heap of other complications, such as ffmpeg not embedding subtitles, ensuring maximum scaling etc. Flash's lack of HTTP range request support is also another consideration, which ultimately may require a webserver module to accomodate (eg lib_h264_streaming).
To complicate matters further, there are licensing restrictions - for H.264, I believe that videos longer than around 10 minutes (a limit Youtubers may be aware of), a royalty fee per watcher needs to be paid to MPEG-LA, though there's also some exceptions. Though I guess this probably isn't the issue of the script writer.

I guess I probably won't ever add support for transcoding, especially since I'm somewhat a perfectionist and getting video encoding right is very difficult for a distributed script (handling VFR (or even NVOPs), lime styling issues, mod16 scaling etc). I don't think it'll be exactly easy for you to implement either (assuming you're willing to do most things properly), however if you intend to, I wish you luck in doing so.

As for the second, I'd personally think it's beyond the scope of a gallery itself. Perhaps an add-on would be in order for those interested. You have already pointed out one of the issues though.

Thanks again for the thread.
You've pretty much stated the reasons I've not yet added encoding support (with the main one being 99% of MyBB suers don't have the hardware/software available to them), though I was unaware of the 10 minute restriction.

No problem at all Smile
It would be nice when you in next release add index icon myvids when you click on it you can add videos and choose category,like gallery plugin
Pardon? I'm afraid I don't actually understand what you're on about.

The gold version will have some added extra features, of course, though I haven't released an actual list of the new features yet.
when install your plugin must go to yourforum/myvids.php to see or add video,what i am said its simple,just add option when install plugin to Automatically see it on the index page Example pictures bellow:
The problem is that 99% of users don't use the default theme - therefore meaning that doing such a thing could break some themes and not work at all on others.

I can do it, but I deemed it pointless when I released the plugin.
I hope so you can provide some tutorial how to add it on the index page when you release and approved from the Mybb Team.Anyway this plugin rocks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5