MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why your forum is failing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Man it's about time somebody made a thread about this. Good job mate!
This is a fantastic article. It will really help out some newcomers wanting to start up ANOTHER general discussion board. Whenever I reply to Showcase thread, I may just link them to this. Toungue
This is why your forum is failing. You have forgotten that a large portion of new computers are bought by senior citizens that have not been brought up with a ''mouse'' in there hands. You are under the impression that everyone is born with the knowledge that you have acquired over years of computer use. You allow the core group to become overpowering .You don't delete useless postings. You are not visible in the posts. You don't take the time to explain how to navigate your forum (instructions). You don't realise the power of a ''personal message'' sent to an interesting new poster will increase the number of your core group. Finally, you must realise that knowledge is power. There is no reason to stay with a forum when there is no out pouring of knowledge.
One more thing. Notice ''Attachments (choose file) no file selected''
Where are the instructions....you know how, I know how, but what about someone that doesn't understand how to use this feature ? Will you just ignore that person in favour of someone that will post pictures of their cat at every opportunity ?
Yeah dude, I should really target senior citizens more on my alternative fashion board.

(I don't think most of us here are targeting that demographic.)

I don't really understand who you think you are critiquing here.

And selecting a file is a function of the OS, so there's no point in putting instructions on how to do it since it will vary from user to user. That's something they need to learn as part of using a computer. And if they don't need to learn it ... surprise, they don't have to attach anything!
You should target everyone. Every culture, every language, male and female and, of course, every age. Not only by education in your board about it's history but also about it's vision in every demographic. Your board should be a vehicle to allow people to dream. Do you seriously believe that most of the followers that you have managed to capture can afford what they see? Their parents can. Did you ever wonder why Japan has such a small showing in boards in the UK ? Language. Even I have a translator program in all my e-mail accounts so we will not be restricted in dealing with clients that don't speak English. As far as instructions ,''user friendly'' is the key. The board that I own,but don't manage, is controlled by an engineer in Japan. It will soon grow and be available in sixteen languages. With instructions, FAQ. So dude, where will you be in the next few years, still deleting spam out of your little alternative fashion forum and knowing that you will soon be replaced by a forum with some vision? or growing into a multi national web site with endless possibilities?
I would never target everyone and even marketing agencies wouldn't do so. Ask toy companies and cereal companies. Their primary target is kids! Why? Because, that kid will whine and cry and in theory eventually the parent will crack and buy it.
The primary target is their parents, through the child, and yes, the marketing agencies employ other agencies to discover new ways to entice children to behave in a manner that will achieve that result.
I like this thread.
(2011-05-23, 03:52 PM)Camo Wrote: [ -> ]The primary target is their parents, through the child, and yes, the marketing agencies employ other agencies to discover new ways to entice children to behave in a manner that will achieve that result.

No the target is the child! Just because the parent buys it doesn't mean they are the target audience as it's not a product for them. In less the tow says safe, will teach your kid to read, and be #1 in school through out class is on a shelf at about the 5 and half foot range the child is the target.
Dam nice site, Jessie ! Everything I wanted to know was right there just one click away. Even the add got my attention!
(2011-05-23, 06:09 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-23, 03:52 PM)Camo Wrote: [ -> ]The primary target is their parents, through the child, and yes, the marketing agencies employ other agencies to discover new ways to entice children to behave in a manner that will achieve that result.

No the target is the child! Just because the parent buys it doesn't mean they are the target audience as it's not a product for them. In less the tow says safe, will teach your kid to read, and be #1 in school through out class is on a shelf at about the 5 and half foot range the child is the target.
We can go round and round about this, Alex, so let me ask; to whom is Victoria Secrets adds targeted to, beautiful girls like in the add's or a much older generation of women (and men) that still have a dream?
.....and with the child, who has the ability to purchase the product ? The child ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6