MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please Explain All This MyBB Stuff To Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, please don't call me a noob, because I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and a some PHP.

Now my problem is, I don't understand how to use myBB. Yes, I know it is a bunch of PHP code. But how do I make my website use it. Do I have to read through the whole codes and make my HTML elements have the same ID as what is supposed to implement it.
Like, do I have to create a Registration.php page, then use <?php include "registrationblahblah.php" ?> or what? There are absolutely no tutorials explaining all this. I've noticed a few websites have the same registration php format, and do they make it that way, or does myBB do it for them. If so, doesn't MyBB just do everything for you since it has the PHP code in it.

Also there's this talk of "AdminCP" in MyBB. Do I get this after I learn to create an account on my website and make the account an admin or what?

BAck again to what I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph. HOW DO I ADD MYBB TO MY WEBSITE? Will I have to go back and add classes and Element IDs to my html code in my .php's? For example, in a myBB code it says:

if ($user...blahblah)

Will I have to change the ID of the text box the the user logs in with to "user" or what PHP code will I use to store the value of the textbox into a variable called "$user"

Will I have to send the textbox value to mySql and then PHP retrieves the password and username from the server and stroes it in a variable called "$user"?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Explain these things. How in the world will my website be able to use the php files in myBB. I know I have to include the php files, so please don't say anything like "<?php include "global.php" ?> because answers like that piss me off.

I am using Xampp's Apache and mySql, so will I have to move the entire myBB folder into the folder that stores my website files or will my websites be moved to the myBB folder. Please take your time to answer these. I wish someone would make a tutorial that explains EVERY SINGLE THING 1 line at a time, even if it takes 25 pages I would read it all to understand how to implement myBB. With all this being said, I don't believe the answers will be provided with only a single line of "do this: ", so PLEASE take the time to answer, and don't be afraid to explain things to the level of "TOO user friendly". Thank you SO SO much in advance.

~Jinkop
It's as simple as uploading the files to your forum directory, and going to www.website.com/install
http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Installing
And also, I do not have a web host, so all the files are on my computer and I run them locally.
If I have to buy a web host before I even finish making all the pages and spend a lot of money, I will be pissed. I have to test myBB and my website on my computer before I'll even consider uploading it.

IF however, I absolutely HAVE to, then please proceed to answer my first post on how to use myBB.
Um, I will be offering free MyBB hosting soon, (Just give me a few days to get my act together and finish my website, if you are interested PM me.

That said, there ARE ways to emulate a web server on your local computer.
Or you can try any of the free online hosts spread aroudn the net and simply use it to test. If you like MyBB, buy a better hosting company or something. Hosting is cheap now, a few bucks per month, and oftentimes domains are included for free...
It's as simple as downloading the files to your computer, running the install script, and exploring the program. For someone with your skill level - familiar with html, css, php, etc - there is nothing else that can be described. You just have to do it. There is NO coding needed to run MyBB. It's a fully functional product for people with no tech knowledge.
So I would need to get a domain and web host. Then upload all the php files in mybb. But I still don't know what to do for all the variables that have been declared. Would I have to make new Javascript and html element IDs to match the already declared variables in mybb. Such as $user.
Would I have to make a new registration page or is it all there.

Like the Javascript code:
getElementById("html-element-name-here").innerHTML("function-to-execute");

Like creating the ID of <div's> and <tables> to match the IDs in myBB. Or is all this already implemented in it and I'm just worrying for nothing? Please explain in details.
And I'm thinking of getting HostGator in the future. Will this work for myBB and mysql?
Hostgator is not very good. But you're totally overthinking it. MyBB has an installation "wizard" once you unzip the files to your web server that walks you through everything. Or you can go with a forum host that provides a completed install of MyBB for free (ahem my sig lol)
(2011-05-17, 02:54 AM)shovenose Wrote: [ -> ]Hostgator is not very good. But you're totally overthinking it. MyBB has an installation "wizard" once you unzip the files to your web server that walks you through everything. Or you can go with a forum host that provides a completed install of MyBB for free (ahem my sig lol)

I don't think the OP is asking just about installing a forum, but asking about incorporating it into a website...At least that's what I get from the original post.

oooooooohhhhhhh...doh OK now I feel like an idiot Toungue ah well let's see if the OP clarifies what he wants :-)
...hi guys, pardon me if I decided to make a post here, I just cant figure out where to so here I am...

...I am very new to myBB and I had just successfully created my first ever forum, I have been tinkering with myBB and its kinda addicting doing it Blush

...I just thought, can I as its admin, limit posts on video links to particular persons and on particular threads only? As I don't want to see video links upon video links spread all over the forums...

...thanks guys and forgive me again for posting here
Pages: 1 2 3