MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Removing Powered by line but still supporting MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I want to remove the powered by link on my website for several reasons:
1. A few other sites are mirroring mine(plugins and such) and this would help prevent that in new sites)
2. Security. I know MyBB is secure but if a loop hole is found in one forum that is MyBB it makes us all a target.
3. Branding. I know MyBB is the heart and sole of my site but having powered by MyBB in a way changes the image users perceive.

Now I love MyBB and was wondering if I can buy a license or in any way do this without having members and the development team think I am hurting them or stealing there work and also on the rare occasion I need support still have this great community ready to help me out.

I noticed I can Donate and If there is no way to purchase a license then I will donate a large amount before removing the powered by logo.

Thanks in advance for the response.
Regarding the "security" issue you can replace the text with an image thus it won't be indexed be search engines as long as you don't put an alt text.

I'm not sure what you mean by mirroring your site.

And, the whole donation for copyright removal has been discussed before but I don't think they put it in place as they don't have a way of tracking it or an amount set.
Thanks for the reply Alex.
The image is one idea. but I still just want it removed since my website targets people who have experience in hacking(we do not do hacking though).

I know legally I can just remove it and also there is no way to trace if I remove it with or without donating.

The only reason I am hesitant to remove it right now is because here in the community you guys seem to take keeping it on really serious and deny support without it.
(2011-06-27, 02:53 PM)mooson94 Wrote: [ -> ]The image is one idea. but I still just want it removed since my website targets people who have experience in hacking

So? And you think they won't be able to figure out which software the board runs on, anyway? And as long as you leave the link back to mybb.com intact, one can simply find out by checking google for pages carrying that link. I don't think this whole replacement thing actually adds security but from the most inept "hackers".

And - we've seen this very topic here so many times lately. I wonder why people here (supposedly most of them are board admins/moderators themselves) don't use the search function.
If you want to remove the link refrence aswell just use a redirect...

But, pretty much every software has something other than the name that makes it easy to recognize (the reason we're able to see some free ea games are using MyBB).
Unfortunately, our support requirements are that your site/forum has the minimum copyright ('Powered by MyBB', with link to mybb.com) visible. If you don't, then you won't be able to receive support here on the Community.

We don't have a 'paid support' policy either I'm afraid. A replacement image is possibly the best way if you really must protect your site, but really, it's only unsecure if you don't keep up to date with the latest release.
I asked a similar question, is there a way we can just reword powered by and still get the support.
(2011-06-27, 03:40 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]I asked a similar question, is there a way we can just reword powered by and still get the support.

I think you'll get the support still Rewording the "Powered By" word to another like "Proudly Powered By MyBB" but not removing the link.
No i don't want to have powered by at all, but still hve the link back, can it be changed to something like forum by.
To my understanding that's fine adbrad. As long it's clear that mybb made the forum software and the link is still active you'll be eligible for support.
Pages: 1 2 3