MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Everyone in 'Unknown Location'?? PLEASE READ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
OK, within the past 48 hours 4 people have said they have all their users showing in an 'Unknown Location'. I'm making this into a sticky to pool together what information people have given and give things people to try, because if past experience is anything to go by, more and more people will have this issue.

Click here for the solution

This thread is the biggest on the issue: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-48520.html

Michael83 has posted a possible fix, can you read this quote, and see if it works for you:

(2009-04-20, 12:54 AM)Michael83 Wrote: [ -> ]What PHP version are you running? Another user on the german forums had the same issue on PHP4. Try this temporary fix. Open inc/functions_online.php and find:
switch($filename)
Above add:
$filename = str_replace("/", "", $split_loc[0]);

Below are lists of plugins that people who have reported this have installed:

Custom Pages
Emergency Message System
Games Section
Multiple Reputations
Spoiler MyCode

AdminCp Popup
Admins can log into Users' accounts
Advanced Quick Reply Form
Bump Thread 
Default Message
Delete Member Posts
Easy Refer
Edit Reason
Forum Icons
FLV Tag
Forum stats in profile
Guest Access
HTML Permissions
Last Threads, Posts and Popular Threads on UserCP Home
Miss You Email
Multi Video Mycode For MyBB
Multiple reputations
My Ad Manager
My Meta Tags
My Question
MyCodes Pack
MyIPN
MyBB Bittorrent Mod
Online 24
Private Messages Admin
Post-URL Mod
Reported Posts Message
Referral in Profile
Stop Forum Spam
Thread Description
Thread Viewer
Top Stat
Trash Can Forum
Welcome Message
YouTube BBCode

myps, tubegallery, changstats, myshoutbox, onlinetoday, hook_finder, ajaxpmnotice, addbot, pageoptimizer, imdbtag, social, mydock, google_seo, ganalytics

Akismet (1.2.1)
Bump Thread (1.01)
Hello World! (1.0)
Youtube BBCode (1.0)

It doesn't seem that there's a plugin that's in all of these lists, so I'm not sure if this is caused by a plugin or not.

If you have just upgraded to 1.4.5 and are experiencing this, please make sure you have all the 1.4.5 files and that you upgraded properly. Also try to download a fresh copy of ./online.php and ./inc/functions_online.php from the full 1.4.5 package and from the changed files package and see if either of these fixes it.

Also, it would be good to try and keep further reports of this to this thread because, as I said before, I can see lots of other people reporting this over time.
i don't know if i understand this topic 100 %
i have this problem
i upload from fresh version of mybb 1.4.5
./online.php
./inc/functions_online.php

and still not working

i have ajaxpmnotice , Custom Pages , advanced quick reply , Miss You Email ( not working dunno why but activated ) , My Meta Tags , online today , Trash Can Forum , youtube bbcode
me too and still not working
but why the url in Unknown Location not show html but show for example (/showthread.php?tid=509)
heyy Smile any solution ?
can we help by replying to ur question or something ?
Hi everyone,

This is caused from a bug in the MultiByte extension provided on some hosts with PHP . The mb_substr function is performing incorrectly on some versions of the package.

To resolve this issue permanently please talk to your host to upgrade the MultiByte to the latest version available.

To resolve this issue temporarily, or if your host is unable to upgrade, please apply the follow fix:

In inc/functions_online.php find:
$filename = my_substr($split_loc[0], -my_strpos(strrev($split_loc[0]), "/"));

replace with

$filename = substr($split_loc[0], -my_strpos(strrev($split_loc[0]), "/"));

Please note, the temporary patch will not be applied to the official MyBB download or considered a bug in MyBB or fixed in any future maintenance release. It is a bug in the MultiByte PHP extension. We strongly encourage our users to keep their servers up-to-date, or otherwise encourage their hosts to keep their servers up-to-date.

Thank you for your continued understand and cooperation,
MyBB Group
Wow bro thank you very much.

For those who don't know how to install MultiByte extension, run this in shell

yum install php-mbstring
working great thx u !
Ok, I send a message to HostGator (my host) about the MultiByte extension. This is what they send back:

The section of code they are referring you to determines the user's location within the forum - that is, the page they are viewing and not their physical location.
Even after applying this "fix" the profiles continue to show that everyone is located in Liverpool. This particular extension is compiled into PHP and we are running the latest version of PHP on your server, meaning that this is the most up-to-date version of the MultiByte extension as well. Please check with MyBB and see if they can provide you with a more relative answer to this issue.

My forum is TF2Forum(.com) . Note: I guess I got a slightly different problem because with me all the people are from ''Liverpool'' and not ''Unknown Location''. Perhaps I have a different problem?

PS: No, not all my members are from Liverpool or filled in that they are from Liverpool Wink.
Is this even the same issue?? Huh How has living in Liverpool got anything to do with everybody showing as being in an Unknown Location on the WOL?? This is nothing to do with filling in a custom profile field...
(2009-04-29, 02:58 PM)Deviance Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I send a message to HostGator (my host) about the MultiByte extension. This is what they send back:

The section of code they are referring you to determines the user's location within the forum - that is, the page they are viewing and not their physical location.
Even after applying this "fix" the profiles continue to show that everyone is located in Liverpool. This particular extension is compiled into PHP and we are running the latest version of PHP on your server, meaning that this is the most up-to-date version of the MultiByte extension as well. Please check with MyBB and see if they can provide you with a more relative answer to this issue.

My forum is TF2Forum(.com) . Note: I guess I got a slightly different problem because with me all the people are from ''Liverpool'' and not ''Unknown Location''. Perhaps I have a different problem?

PS: No, not all my members are from Liverpool or filled in that they are from Liverpool Wink.

It looks like your host has no idea what they are talking about.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7