MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux deleted it self.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hard disk failure maybe?
I came here expecting to find a weird lime news story, instead, this.

Ubuntu doesn't run well with Mac's I have one and I use to run into problems all the time. Mine deleted itself about 10-20 times already. I never found a fix for it...

But you can try this. Reboot your mac and when its black hold Command and S then turn it on. It will bring you to a command line once its ready to allow you to type put "fsck -fy". If that doesn't fix it the only thing left to try is another OS.
Try Mandriva or Fedora instead Toungue Or heck, MINT! Wink After all, you did just spend time downloading it.
My mac is now being a b**** and not letting me a burn the image -.-"

(2011-09-03, 06:18 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Hard disk failure maybe?
That's what I was thinking....

(2011-09-03, 06:33 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]I came here expecting to find a weird lime news story, instead, this.

Ubuntu doesn't run well with Mac's I have one and I use to run into problems all the time. Mine deleted itself about 10-20 times already. I never found a fix for it...

But you can try this. Reboot your mac and when its black hold Command and S then turn it on. It will bring you to a command line once its ready to allow you to type put "fsck -fy". If that doesn't fix it the only thing left to try is another OS.
fsck -fy takes me into the refit terminal type thing and says fsck isn't a valid command.

(2011-09-03, 01:48 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Try Mandriva or Fedora instead Toungue Or heck, MINT! Wink After all, you did just spend time downloading it.

Mint looks good... I still have to fix Ubuntu though because it has my pictures like I said.
Is the hard disk encrypted? If not, can't you just mount the hard disk in another Linux distro and get the pictures that way?
You don't "fix" Ubuntu. You boot the LiveCD Mint, use that top mount both your Ubuntu and Mac partitions, and copy the files to the Mac partition.

Another thing, what Boot Loader are you using?
(2011-09-03, 05:22 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]My mac is now being a b**** and not letting me a burn the image -.-"

(2011-09-03, 06:18 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Hard disk failure maybe?
That's what I was thinking....

(2011-09-03, 06:33 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]I came here expecting to find a weird lime news story, instead, this.

fsck -fy takes me into the refit terminal type thing and says fsck isn't a valid command.

(2011-09-03, 01:48 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Try Mandriva or Fedora instead Toungue Or heck, MINT! Wink After all, you did just spend time downloading it.

Mint looks good... I still have to fix Ubuntu though because it has my pictures like I said.

Then try
/sbin/fsck –fy

Don't worry Apple suport geek here.
Oh, and on another note:
If you installed Linux properly and have your /home on a different partition.. you can re-install without backing up your /home first. Just make sure you do not format that partition when you re-install.
You can't boot Linux if you're not using BootCamp on a Mac. Lol EFI.
(2011-09-03, 07:12 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]You can't boot Linux if you're not using BootCamp on a Mac. Lol EFI.

Incorrect on so many levels. There is no EFI support in several other bootloaders. Please educate yourself before dropping a comment.

ELILO
rEFIt
Wiki Entry for UEFI (Has some info on Linux+EFI)
GRUB2: URL 1 URL 2 URL 3

So, don't "assume" just because some people take the lazy way out. And back up your argument with sources if/when you can (Many times in the discussion over in the Apple thread what is said cannot be proven.. but it also can't be disproven because it is still theory)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8