MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux deleted it self.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Haha OSX is good bro, and I'd use it if I could. But the problem is, my brother is the Admin on OSX because this was his old computer, and he's in NY, and I don't have any of his passes. So every program, can't be updated and is like 2 years old. It makes it really hard to do stuff. So I'm using Linux.

So which linux is a good linux?
Arch is awesome if you're willing to learn a lot Toungue.

For a more friendly experience maybe fedora or OpenSuse (I would say Mint but it's ubuntu based so you may have the same issues).
Unless he goes with Mint Debian Wink

Of course, you could always just FIX the issue with the passwords/accounts:
Quote:Originally posted by QuantumFusion on the MacNN forums, and repeated with slight readbility changes, here are the steps to regain access to root:

Click Restart at the login window
While the computer is restarting, hold down "Command-S" until you see text scrolling through the window. This boots the computer into single user mode.
At the Localhost% prompt type:

/sbin/mount -uw /
/sbin/SystemStarter

You will then see various services starting up.

When the Localhost% prompt reappears, type:

passwd root

It will then ask you to type the new root password twice, so do so.

After entering the new password, type:

reboot

At the login window, enter username root wih the new password. Once you are connected, you can use the Multiple Users application (/Applications/Utilities) to change your normal user's password, or create a new user account.

You can also use the option for adding extra parameters at boot and pass it -s for single user mode in place of holding down Command+S. Either way, Single User mode is the *NIX "fix everything I've screwed up account wise" saveall.
(2011-09-11, 11:07 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Arch is awesome if you're willing to learn a lot Toungue.

For a more friendly experience maybe fedora or OpenSuse (I would say Mint but it's ubuntu based so you may have the same issues).

Opensuse looks nice. Fedora also looks nice hahaha.

(2011-09-11, 11:32 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Unless he goes with Mint Debian Wink

Quote:Originally posted by QuantumFusion on the MacNN forums, and repeated with slight readbility changes, here are the steps to regain access to root:

While the computer is restarting, hold down "Command-S" until you see text scrolling through the window. This boots the computer into single user mode.

/sbin/mount -uw /
/sbin/SystemStarter

passwd root

reboot

At the login window, enter username root wih the new password. Once you are connected, you can use the Multiple Users application (/Applications/Utilities) to change your normal user's password, or create a new user account.

You can also use the option for adding extra parameters at boot and pass it -s for single user mode in place of holding down Command+S. Either way, Single User mode is the *NIX "fix everything I've screwed up account wise" saveall.

I'm not having a problem with my passwords or accounts though D=
It was that Ubuntu unmounted itself. I just remounted it with my Mint CD.
I installed Elementary OS a couple days ago and it's fantastic. I'm still using OS X on a daily basis because of iTunes/Coda, though.
(2011-09-11, 11:58 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]I installed Elementary OS a couple days ago and it's fantastic. I'm still using OS X on a daily basis because of iTunes/Coda, though.

My friend is one of the several designers for that! Give him a cookie!
PCLinuxOS is good.
(2011-09-11, 11:48 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-11, 11:07 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Arch is awesome if you're willing to learn a lot Toungue.

Opensuse looks nice. Fedora also looks nice hahaha.

(2011-09-11, 11:32 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Unless he goes with Mint Debian Wink

/sbin/mount -uw /
/sbin/SystemStarter

passwd root

reboot

I'm not having a problem with my passwords or accounts though D=
It was that Ubuntu unmounted itself. I just remounted it with my Mint CD.

Ermm... yes you are. Those were instructions for fixing the password issue in OS X. Nothing to do with Ubuntu Toungue
Hence the source being "MacNN" forums...
O.O Woah what?!?! That'll let me make an admin on OSX? oiafhghgkufhdgjhflguhtgjhtighkjhgd

Didn't even realize what you were talking about.

I leik. Thank you!
Enjoy Wink
You can thank my time spent making a Hackintosh for that little gem... I knew Mac, being a UNIX based system, had to have a single user mode. I just had to look it up to find out how to get into it. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8