MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux deleted it self.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2011-09-03, 07:23 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-03, 07:12 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]You can't boot Linux if you're not using BootCamp on a Mac. Lol EFI.

Incorrect on so many levels. There is no EFI support in several other bootloaders. Please educate yourself before dropping a comment.

ELILO
rEFIt
Wiki Entry for UEFI (Has some info on Linux+EFI)
GRUB2: URL 1 URL 2 URL 3

So, don't "assume" just because some people take the lazy way out. And back up your argument with sources if/when you can (Many times in the discussion over in the Apple thread what is said cannot be proven.. but it also can't be disproven because it is still theory)

I use rEFIT. Not anymore I cant stay away from my osx installation. Trust me its definitely possible. I've done it with mint, Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.
rEFIt would be awesome if they ever DID properly add ext2/3/4 support to it. Their last try at adding ext2/3 support failed miserably. I don't see why either, its a fricking open source bonanza on that fs software...
(2011-09-03, 06:41 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Is the hard disk encrypted? If not, can't you just mount the hard disk in another Linux distro and get the pictures that way?

Hmm.... not sure TBH

(2011-09-03, 06:43 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]You don't "fix" Ubuntu. You boot the LiveCD Mint, use that top mount both your Ubuntu and Mac partitions, and copy the files to the Mac partition.

Another thing, what Boot Loader are you using?
Hahah thats what I meant. But for some reason it's not burning mint correctly so I'm going to go burn it at my friends house.

(2011-09-03, 06:44 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Then try
/sbin/fsck –fy

Don't worry Apple suport geek here.
I'll try that.

EDIT:
Wait...can I load Mint from a USB?

EDIT2:
Command + S keeps taking me to the REF shell or something?
Yes, you can load MINT from USB assuming you create a LiveOS stick with it. You can use Mandriva Seed to put ANY Hybrid ISO onto a USB stick. Be warned, it DOES erase said stick.
(2011-09-03, 07:31 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-03, 06:41 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Is the hard disk encrypted? If not, can't you just mount the hard disk in another Linux distro and get the pictures that way?

Hmm.... not sure TBH

(2011-09-03, 06:43 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]You don't "fix" Ubuntu. You boot the LiveCD Mint, use that top mount both your Ubuntu and Mac partitions, and copy the files to the Mac partition.

Another thing, what Boot Loader are you using?
Hahah thats what I meant. But for some reason it's not burning mint correctly so I'm going to go burn it at my friends house.

(2011-09-03, 06:44 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Then try
/sbin/fsck –fy

Don't worry Apple suport geek here.
I'll try that.

EDIT:
Wait...can I load Mint from a USB?

EDIT2:
Command + S keeps taking me to the REF shell or something?

Yes, you have to sit there and wait until it is ready to allow you to type. Sorry fi i get this wrong but when its ready it should look something like this:

[root@wethegreenpeoplesmacbookpro]: (flashing cursor here)

then enter the command
Might also look like:
[dylan@laptop ~]$

But then again, it may not. Theres so many different shells, and they all have configurable prompts these days for the most part.
Sorry for the lateness of the reply. I haven't been on my mac recently.

refit says that /sbin/ isn't a vaild command....

Should I try it just sbin/ ?

Also... Is my computer slowly failing me? I notice now, one of my USB ports isn't working at all. I had my keyboard plugged into it then from there my mouse plugged into my keyboard, and the port it was on isn't working at all now....
xD hahaha. I have no problem switching back over to mac, except for the fact that I still need my stuff off of Ubuntu.

And again I ask... could it be that my computer is slowly dieing? My last mac did this too....
Yes, it could be taking a crap on you. But a single failing USB port combined with a known boot issue for that Linux distro on that type of machine isn't really a cascade failure here Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8