MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Maybe using the message system to something like Facebook has...
Messages are displayed in convo's and you can have a button in the user postbit next to their post in which you can drop off a message.
Makes communication easier and faster, plus a better feeling.
(2011-09-12, 02:30 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]when someone comments on your profile
(2011-09-12, 02:30 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]4. A Profile comment script:
Comments Profiles are a plus.

(2011-09-12, 02:30 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]5. A like button for threads (Not necessary but would be cool)

*cought*Facebook*cought*

(2011-09-12, 02:30 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]2. A blog feature that allows users to create their blogs (ridiculous)

So Profile Comments sounds very good but not profile blogs?

(2011-09-12, 02:34 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ][...], but I can say the 'Read users PMs' won't be added.

In some countries, that is an invasion of privacy which could end up a court case.

[...]

That depends in if you warn your users about the possibility of their PMs being read.

It's best to leave controversial features out and let the community handle them with plugins. I'd rather have my users focus on public discussion to grow a healthy community, not messing around on each other's profiles.
(2011-09-12, 10:26 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]It's best to leave controversial features out and let the community handle them with plugins. I'd rather have my users focus on public discussion to grow a healthy community, not messing around on each other's profiles.

they can't focus on your community when they leave to go be "more interactive" someplace else. it requires a balance. maybe its not smart for a new forum, but to add it to an established forum, just ups the camaraderie
(2011-09-12, 10:30 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]they can't focus on your community when they leave to go be "more interactive" someplace else. it requires a balance. maybe its not smart for a new forum, but to add it to an established forum, just ups the camaraderie
This is true. I guess it ultimately depends on the maturity of the community and the administrator's wishes, but I still maintain that since it depends on the administrator and specific community needs it should be a plugin.
I don't think profile comments should be included. MyBB is forum software, not social network software.

I think there's a danger of disjointed discussion with profile comments.
You have a pretty lame community if people stop posting in threads to post on each other's profiles instead. I would like to see profile comments but if the MyBB team doesn't develop it, someone else will. I think profile comments would reduce PM activity, not forum activity.

There's already a plugin that allows you to log in as any user (and technically you already can by changing their password). While it's arguably ethically shady it's not illegal if you have a clear privacy policy.
(2011-09-19, 06:07 PM)Nitrus Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think profile comments should be included. MyBB is forum software, not social network software.

I think there's a danger of disjointed discussion with profile comments.

do you really think that a complete conversation will occur in profile comments? if so, would it be content that you really want on your forum if its not a general discussion forum?

if they want to have a conversation with each other, there are private messages and "conversation style" PM are likely in 2.0. so what is the difference?

keep users on your site but let the garbage content reside in a profile somewhere rather than in your forums.
profile comments are available as plugin and should stay so
(2011-09-19, 07:54 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]profile comments are available as plugin and should stay so

why?
why?

why does everyone want this software to basically stay the same as it is right now with some polish?

this is the year 2011. get with it already. nobody is forcing you to use such a feature if it was made available.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5