MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
We won't be developing a social network nor a forum. We don't develop community software, we develop forum software. That's what we're concentrating on.
Can you explain why?
Hmm, the MyBB developers seem to have a very stiff mindset of the meaning of "Forum". The meaning of forum is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." And that is a shoutbox a profile messaging system, and a thread system. Web evolves like language. And very quickly at that matter, the past is the past, leave it there, don't try dragging the old into the new. Nonsensical bickering is irritating me. There is no need for it. We should all come to a final aggreement, the meaning of "Forum" is the same, you all had it wrong in in the first place. vB and IPB have struck gold. MyBB hasn't. Believe me, to have a successful forum, you need to have successful forum software. The MyBB candle is glowing dim, and nearing to the end. If you want to have a really successful forum software. You need to be open the the users ideas not your own strict mindset.

Remember the past is the past and so is the present, only the future is the future, so think about the future, not the now or the past. The future.
Agree with that. Many, many peoples here say that. But MyBB developers don't want to hear. But think of this: if others offer what people need, and more and more people use it, who will use your product after 10-20 years?

What we are talking about here - a very important and key issue. We solve the future and the fate of MyBB. Will it be used or not at all.

For example read this: http://weblogtoolscollection.com/archive...at-joomla/

"Joomla! continued improving but they didn’t improve in the areas that their customers wanted. At least not their small business customers.

WordPress listened, they didn’t want to be known as a blogging platform only – they made it easy – and they won."
You are not Facebook. You are not everywhere and you dont have money or computing power they have.

When Facebook rolls some features in, people DDOS them at first out of curiosity, and even if three days later 70% of them go "meh", there is stil 90 milion people left using it.

When your forum rolls in user statuses or profile comments one thing happens: three or five guys see some discussion in their profiles and rest of users dont care.

This is waste of dev-time. If you want to bring software to future, you should seek to update existing featurebase and cut off stuff that failed to be useful, not write in bloat cos kids that cant afford IPB/vB want you to be free surogate.
To add a profile system you don't need power and money of Facebook. There are already free similar mybb plugins exists for that, written by mybb enthusiasts in a couple of weeks.
what is the point in renaming the thread, also as this relates to 2.0 there is no reason why it should not be discussed still
Nothing prevents to start a new topic.
I think it is a little harsh to say that MyBB is (slowly) nearing its end, as that's not the case. Even if they don't develop features like alerts, notifications, profile comments, etc. as core, people will just make plugins for it. MyBB will remean at the top for a long time, I'm sure of it.

The only thing that really bugs me though about MyBB is that they still don't have a soft-delete feature for posts, it makes things difficult in some situations, but a similar feature will be in 1.8 so I'm happy with that Smile
(2012-04-10, 07:50 AM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing that really bugs me though about MyBB is that they still don't have a soft-delete feature for posts, it makes things difficult in some situations, but a similar feature will be in 1.8 so I'm happy with that Smile

There's also a pretty good plugin for that, which I use. Glad it'll be core, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5