MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-04-08, 10:23 AM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Title protection to prevent all caps...

I actually support this!
Why do we text nowadays? Couldn't everything be done by calling?! Why do we have Facebook? Twitter? Email?

This is the type of attitude conveyed by too many people in this thread.

The world has changed since MyBB's inception. It is time to bring it up to the times. People are used to instant communication, and not always private.
Yes, but if you want instant communications that not private it should just be posed in the forum not in profile comments.

Why create a section for leaving comments in profiles where they simple create a topic with comments about a person? All your doing is making your site more divided.
(2012-04-08, 06:10 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but if you want instant communications that not private it should just be posed in the forum not in profile comments.

Why create a section for leaving comments in profiles where they simple create a topic with comments about a person? All your doing is making your site more divided.

So we should have basically an MSN talk section where its just a bunch of random stuff
Quote:LOL, Jk, rofl, I got banned on this other site, epic dood
Etcetera.

Sometimes there is stuff only 2 people know about. Not necessarily private, but only makes sense to them. It doesn't make sense for that stuff to be in threads.
What forum doesn't have a general discussion forum or a feedback forum?

And, if it's only between two people why make it public?
This will be a fun debate, huh? Wink

Mine doesn't have a full-fledged one yet because I want to emphasize on-topic.

Not responding to a point you made - Us as webmasters and forum owners think differently than the rest. We visualize the backend php code. We know the SQL query counts of various pages.

Normal users don't know that. They just see the feature and use it. If a forum can feel slightly social-network-like, people are immediately familiar with some features and feel a bit more comfortable, IMO. To each their own opinion...

2nd Pt) It's not about public or not, it is about the "feel" of the profiles and the community. Right now, profiles are fairly antisocial. Yay, a table with post counts, online time — whoopee! /sarc
I would have comments on my forum right now if the plugin by Aquilez didn't break my theme in the profiles. People feel a bit more engaged (not the love type!) when there's at least semi-social profiles.

To each their own, and I won't die if this is a plugin, and hopefully I will be able to create 2.0 plugins, but not having to wait for such a simple feature would be very nice.
I'd like to see a nice shoutbox to be honest.
Myshoutbox & others all have bugs.
(2012-04-08, 10:27 PM)fap Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see a nice shoutbox to be honest.

A shout box means I would have to move hosts. Some hosts dislike shout boxes because of their MySQL resource usage.

Plus, a shout box is a great way to destroy a forum.
(2012-04-08, 10:27 PM)fap Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see a nice shoutbox to be honest.

Won't be happening as core.
(2011-09-12, 08:21 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I think profile comments are good. Anyway to make interpersonal communication easier and allow users to customize their experience is a good thing. there could always be the option to disable it.

having user blogs or userpages is a good thing. why not allow users to customize their profile or pages on your site? its better than them leaving to go to facebook or some other social site to make a page for themselves. if your hosting account is limited, then dont enable them, but for a larger site, it would be nice to give users a reason to STAY on your site, rather than a reason for them to leave. plus its additional and searchable content to drive traffic your way

I'm completely agree. "Just forum" from 90's is not cool anymore. It's new time and new ruquirements. Users want it. Advanced profiles, blogs, comments and social elements it's today's standard. Who knows what awaits us tomorrow? The old school has exhausted itself many years ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5