MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Use portal as home page outside forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
only through rewrites in htaccess , but i am not sure why you would want portal in a subfolder
once i do all of this conversion, i should still be able to edit from the acp? if not are there files that i can download and then reupload to make changes.
this has nothing to do with the ACP, so it should work just fine.
I haven't tried this one yet but pavemen, do you usually do the steps all over again when you upgrade/install a new mybb release?
i use Patches plugin for the code changes and templates are not an issue 99% of the time, so upgrades are easy most of the time
ok. cool. i have another question. when i try to log in to through the portal, now index.php. it redirects me back to the index.php but does not show me logged in.
also those latest threads on the portal page, i just want to take the titles and put them in some span classes which are in a div class. is this possible?
i have another question...when i go to portal_announcement edit under acp there is {$message} where can i find this file to edit. I would like to edit this file so i can edit the title of the announcements and make it bigger and some other things.

do you know where i can find that file?
(2011-12-13, 04:14 AM)VeritasAequitas9 Wrote: [ -> ]ok. cool. i have another question. when i try to log in to through the portal, now index.php. it redirects me back to the index.php but does not show me logged in.
also those latest threads on the portal page, i just want to take the titles and put them in some span classes which are in a div class. is this possible?

You need to set the Cookie Path in the ACP to just be the slash, without the forum path in it and also have the Cookie Domain a dot only or a .domain only

Edit the templates portal_lastestthreads and portal_lastestthreads_thread as you see fit

(2011-12-14, 06:13 PM)VeritasAequitas9 Wrote: [ -> ]i have another question...when i go to portal_announcement edit under acp there is {$message} where can i find this file to edit. I would like to edit this file so i can edit the title of the announcements and make it bigger and some other things.

do you know where i can find that file?

That is a variable populated in portal.php (now index.php in your site root), however you should edit the portal_announcement template to change the display of the announcement components. Look for the line that includes "thead" and that is the line that has the announcement title
alright thanks...i will see what i can do. i have figured out how to edit the titles of the announcements. The fix for the logins worked. D: now i just need to change how the after log in looks to fit my layout. Now i have another question i have 2 areas on my home page where I have latest news and latest threads. I tried to take the "<a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$announcement['threadlink']}">{$announcement['subject']}</a>" and place it in the correct spots for the latest news, but doesn't seem to work. I think I am missing some syntax that needs to go in the header or some syntax path to file errors.
(2011-12-16, 01:48 AM)VeritasAequitas9 Wrote: [ -> ]alright thanks...i will see what i can do. i have figured out how to edit the titles of the announcements. The fix for the logins worked. D: now i just need to change how the after log in looks to fit my layout. Now i have another question i have 2 areas on my home page where I have latest news and latest threads. I tried to take the "<a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$announcement['threadlink']}">{$announcement['subject']}</a>" and place it in the correct spots for the latest news, but doesn't seem to work. I think I am missing some syntax that needs to go in the header or some syntax path to file errors.

ok i think i know what i need to do. but i dont know how to exactly place it correctly. cuz the {$threadlist} is talking to a file, portal_latestthreads_thread. What I would like to do is put the code in this div tag:
<div class="box_header">
<span>Latest Threads</span>
</div>
<div class="box_content">
<ul>
<li>
<div class="li_left">
<span>&nbsp;</span>
</div>
<div class="li_middle">
<span><a href="#">&nbsp;</a></span>
</div>
<div class="li_right">
<span class="li_right_mid_span"><a href="#">&nbsp;</a></span>
</div>
</li>

To look something like this
<div class="box_header">
<span>Latest Threads</span>
</div>
<div class="box_content">
<ul>
<li>
<div class="li_left">
<span>{$lastpostdate}</span>
</div>
<div class="li_middle">
<span><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$thread['threadlink']}">{$thread['subject']}</a></span>
</div>
<div class="li_right">
<span class="li_right_mid_span"><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$thread['threadlink']}">Read</a></span></span>
</div>
</li>

I do not have much room for the {$thread['subject']} since it is going to be on the side of the page. Unless I rearrange, but maybe wouldn't have to its a small font like 10 or 12 and if it extends longer than the width of the li_middle a "...." appears @ the end of the subject.
its not talking to another file, its just a template that is made up of other templates. so you need to edit the main and the components to get the look you want.

also, you need to use the {$threadlist} tempalte variable in the middle column, and then modify the portal_latestthreads as main container for the latest threads, and modify the postal_latestthreads_thread to change how each thread in the container looks.

unless I am missing what you are trying to do. you may need to mock up something in Paint an post it up, but this is all getting beyond the scope of this tutorial
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10