MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is your feedback regarding Cloudflare?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So does it throw ads up on the page? How can it be free?
(2012-04-18, 03:59 AM)Monaco Wrote: [ -> ]So does it throw ads up on the page? How can it be free?

Not at all. They raise money via venture capital. They make money from Pro/Enterprise accounts too.
I'm using CloudFlare on RTFW.org, and not on fawkessoft.com. They're both hosted on the same shared server (as in, the same physical box), and the speed difference is very noticeable. One of the reasons it's so much faster is that rather than hit my server for everything, a user only needs to hit the PHP pages. CloudFlare automatically caches the images, JS, CSS, and other static files at their datacenters, and can serve up the image from the one nearest the user rather than taking a trip 1/4 of the way around the world to get an image smaller than the headers used to request it.

On top of that, CloudFlare automatically blocks spammers. Between it and the Stop Forum Spam plugin, in the month they've been running, I've only had 2 spammers register, and they haven't had a chance to post yet.
Thank you all for your input. I can't believe I'm just now finding out about this.

Quote:With a couple lines in htaccess you can easily block all traffic EXCEPT USA. Very easy and handy imho.

How is this done exactly?
(2012-04-18, 12:32 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using CloudFlare on RTFW.org, and not on fawkessoft.com. They're both hosted on the same shared server (as in, the same physical box), and the speed difference is very noticeable. One of the reasons it's so much faster is that rather than hit my server for everything, a user only needs to hit the PHP pages. CloudFlare automatically caches the images, JS, CSS, and other static files at their datacenters, and can serve up the image from the one nearest the user rather than taking a trip 1/4 of the way around the world to get an image smaller than the headers used to request it.

On top of that, CloudFlare automatically blocks spammers. Between it and the Stop Forum Spam plugin, in the month they've been running, I've only had 2 spammers register, and they haven't had a chance to post yet.

I just loaded RTFW in 80 seconds and fawkessoft in 50 seconds. I'm on dial up.

On a side note: Cloudflare has recently been giving me a Restricted Access notice which is rubbish, I just leave the sites it comes up on.

So no I wouldn't use it going by my own experience.
On a side note: Cloudflare has recently been giving me a Restricted Access notice which is rubbish, I just leave the sites it comes up on.

Which Access Restricted message are you getting? A challenge page or captcha? You can still enter the site passing the captcha.

Note: If you're getting a captcha going to the site, then the IP address you're on has shown bad activity online recently. Passing the captcha does reduce the threat score associated with the IP & you can also request that the site owner whitelist your IP as an additional option.
(2012-04-18, 06:13 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note: Cloudflare has recently been giving me a Restricted Access notice which is rubbish, I just leave the sites it comes up on.

Which Access Restricted message are you getting? A challenge page or captcha? You can still enter the site passing the captcha.

Note: If you're getting a captcha going to the site, then the IP address you're on has shown bad activity online recently. Passing the captcha does reduce the threat score associated with the IP & you can also request that the site owner whitelist your IP as an additional option.

Yes it's a captcha I get different IP each time I connect and sometimes it's in projecthoneypot and sometimes it's not. After taking so long on dial up to get to a site I just can't be bothered to go through the captcha process, so I leave.
(2012-04-18, 06:28 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-18, 06:13 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]On a side note: Cloudflare has recently been giving me a Restricted Access notice which is rubbish, I just leave the sites it comes up on.

Yes it's a captcha I get different IP each time I connect and sometimes it's in projecthoneypot and sometimes it's not. After taking so long on dial up to get to a site I just can't be bothered to go through the captcha process, so I leave.

Projecthoneypot isn't our only data source, unfortunately (have some other non public ones).

Some quick notes:
1. The IP will actually fall off after about two weeks (if no bad activity is shown from IP).
2. Passing the captcha actually helps reduce the overall threat score associated with IP during that time, so passing it (or having the owner whitelist) is a big help in reducing false positives.

May I ask why passing a captcha is a problem? A lot of sites have captchas in some shape or form on them, such as contact forms and registration forms, so just want to understand where the inconvenience is.
(2012-04-18, 06:39 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-18, 06:28 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]

Projecthoneypot isn't our only data source, unfortunately (have some other non public ones).

Some quick notes:
1. The IP will actually fall off after about two weeks (if no bad activity is shown from IP).
2. Passing the captcha actually helps reduce the overall threat score associated with IP during that time, so passing it (or having the owner whitelist) is a big help in reducing false positives.

May I ask why passing a captcha is a problem? A lot of sites have captchas in some shape or form on them, such as contact forms and registration forms, so just want to understand where the inconvenience is.

Hello no I have nothing against captchas I have them on my forum. what I was trying to say was, having dial up it's so frustrating waiting for a site to load. but when it does load I'm faced with a captcha I just give up and go to another site. Obviously if the site is important to me I would hang around and complete the captcha. but there are lots of sites out there that could have what I wanted.

I'm all for stopping viruses and spam but for me time on dial up is bad enough without having to go through a captcha just to view a websites home page. Captcha for signing up or leaving a comment yes, but view a home page no. it will just put people off in my opinion, and there is no need to stop people looking at a home page.

Hope that explains.
Quote:So does it throw ads up on the page? How can it be free?

Right now I pay $35 a month for have a handful of sites on their PRO service. I assume they will add more tiers or ala carte services. They can probably come up with some deals with large providers too like DH. I'd be willing to be their partnership means DH pays CF something. They do after all save them substantial bandwidth which should be their #3 cost (#1 payroll, #2 energy).

I've stated before and state it again. CF will be bought by someone much larger imho. Probably sell for hundreds of millions if not more. Depends on when they sell and to whom. I would have loved to given $100k for venture capital to this company when it started. I'd be pleased as punch right now.

When their network and technology are fully worked out it will be imho one of the best services for both site owners and datacenters alike. It's already one of the most innovative features since Google Analytics.

Cloudflare is changing the game.

Quote:On a side note: Cloudflare has recently been giving me a Restricted Access notice which is rubbish, I just leave the sites it comes up on.

If you lose 1% of your legit traffic but you also lose 90% of your bad traffic then that's the tradeoff. Every company has false positives from Anti-Virus to Email Spam Prevention. It's just part of it. CF imho does a wonderful job at working to minimize the false positives and improve their service.

Quote:Projecthoneypot isn't our only data source, unfortunately (have some other non public ones).

I assume eventually you'll do the honeypot data mining yourself or lower the weight of outside sources.

@damoncloudflare LMK when you're sending me that commission check for all the sales work I do for you. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5