MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IcyBoards - FREE Forum Hosting!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2012-10-08, 12:05 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]Oh that's right, You have ads, don't you...

Confused joke?
How else would he be making enough of a profit to cover server costs?
(2012-10-08, 12:37 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]How else would he be making enough of a profit to cover server costs?

The majority of my server cost is paid for with revenue from this site: http://icyarcade.com/ IcyBoards is more of a site for fun, something I enjoy doing. I do not profit from it.
So it does run at a loss, then. It's another site making the revenue.
(2012-10-08, 12:44 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]So it does run at a loss, then. It's another site making the revenue.

Yes it does. Like I mentioned before, I enjoy offering a free service and managing the server. I am not doing it like most other money-hungry webhosts. I can certainly make money off it by using larger ads/more ads, but I don't want that at all...

If you use the formula (websites hosted / cost of server), then it is making a pretty nice profit. I use the server for many other sites, not just this one.
(2012-10-08, 12:44 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-08, 12:44 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]So it does run at a loss, then. It's another site making the revenue.

Yes it does. Like I mentioned before, I enjoy offering a free service and managing the server. I am not doing it like most other money-hungry webhosts. I can certainly make money off it by using larger ads/more ads, but I don't want that at all...

Thanks for clearing that up, After you told me that "[IcyBoards is] not running at any loss"
(2012-10-08, 12:46 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-08, 12:44 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for clearing that up, After you told me that "[IcyBoards is] not running at any loss"

As a whole, it's not. You're missing the point. It's not up to one single website to pay for the server it's hosted on. I can easily put it on a VPS and make money off it. I choose a dedicated server because I have many other things to use it for. My expenses aren't really relevant to this advertisement.
(2012-10-08, 12:48 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]My expenses aren't really relevant to this advertisement.

I'm not the one missing the point here, You're missing the point I am attempting to make:

1) IcyBoards is running at a company loss - It's not making the money to cover the bandwidth it uses.
2) If it were running as the only site on the dedi, And you were paying for it out of pocket, then I'd be able to say you were dedicated to keeping it running as an out of pocket expense.
3) Another site is making the server payments, Therefore you resorted to another site, thereby spreading yourself thinner with less time to run the community and company, then you would have otherwise.

See my point here?
(2012-10-08, 01:09 AM)bcousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-08, 12:48 AM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]My expenses aren't really relevant to this advertisement.

I'm not the one missing the point here, You're missing the point I am attempting to make:

1) IcyBoards is running at a company loss - It's not making the money to cover the bandwidth it uses.
2) If it were running as the only site on the dedi, And you were paying for it out of pocket, then I'd be able to say you were dedicated to keeping it running as an out of pocket expense.
3) Another site is making the server payments, Therefore you resorted to another site, thereby spreading yourself thinner with less time to run the community and company, then you would have otherwise.

See my point here?

Well, let's not over evaluate things or anything. Last I checked it wasn't illegal to own more than one website. Its not exactly a strenuous task to run multiple websites, especially if you have a good group of staff.
I can't see the point why people are anxious about the profit of IcyBoards.

The site is up, providing excellent servics and will continue. No matter the cost is coming from where or how. Its totally upon the owner of the site if he want to do business with it or make charity. The topic of this thread is "Free Forum Hosting" provided by IcyBoards which is definitely up. Its not about how to make money by Free Forum Hosting. If someone really bother the owner's profit and loss statement he can just go and donate to IcyBoards.

Regarding Ads, as much I'm aware IcyBoards has many programs (don't know the exact word) to remove ads from the forums without paying any penny, like one is:
If you use IcyBoards IRC Channel your forum ads will be vanished as long as you are logged in.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7