MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop Forum Spam on MyBB (100% Success Rate)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A good idea would be to create a plugin that bans a member who fills in their ICQ # immediately after registration.
(2012-03-28, 10:23 PM)BitzDefender Wrote: [ -> ]A good idea would be to create a plugin that bans a member who fills in their ICQ # immediately after registration.

(2012-03-28, 10:23 PM)BitzDefender Wrote: [ -> ]A good idea would be to create a plugin that bans a member who fills in their ICQ # immediately after registration.

for me that would be a perfect solution as none of my clients would use (or have likely ever heard of ICQ)

(2012-03-29, 06:26 AM)hagz Wrote: [ -> ]

for me that would be a perfect solution as none of my clients would use (or have likely ever heard of ICQ)

I've hard coded that in a forum before along with a profile field where the top option is bot. If they picked bot, the IP immediately would get banned as well as the user. I've learned that bots tend to pick the top answer when you have a select option field.
(2012-03-29, 01:19 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]If they picked bot, the IP immediately would get banned as well as the user. I've learned that bots tend to pick the top answer when you have a select option field.
That is, indeed a nice effort and a way out.

Thankyou BitzDefender :-) I followed your guide and the spam seems to have stopped, it was kinda funny as i was installing the mods (Spam) i had 3 spam registrations once installed and settings set i was good to go.

Thankyou
Chris
I was surprised to see a thread titled "Stop Forum Spam on MyBB" didn't include using the StopForumSpam.com myBB plugin. I've been using that for 6+ months now, and it works perfectly. I use it on vBulletin forums, too.

I'd agree that a good reg question will often stop spammers -- including non-English. Ask a question that requires cultural knowledge, not just a translator. People from outside your culture won't have a clue how to answer, even if it's with translation help (Google Translate).

Stop Forum Spam has proven to stop bots, but sometimes even humans, however. That is why I don't recommend it.
I've yet to see it block a valid human, after using it for 3+ years.
I can guarantee you that more spam is done by hand and nothing but good moderation will prevent it. Seems I add custom plugins to stop the bot spam but then I get new spam that just barely passes my new filters. I know it's human spam. I'm convinced now.

You can stop bot spam but that's not always the problem anymore. There are rooms of humans in India sitting there spamming forums.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5