MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop Forum Spam on MyBB (100% Success Rate)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-03-30, 04:21 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I can guarantee you that more spam is done by hand and nothing but good moderation will prevent it. Seems I add custom plugins to stop the bot spam but then I get new spam that just barely passes my new filters. I know it's human spam. I'm convinced now.

You can stop bot spam but that's not always the problem anymore. There are rooms of humans in India sitting there spamming forums.

This.

I don't see how people struggle defending against the bots, it's a 2 minute job to prevent. All you can ask for is good moderation and perhaps the "Goodbye Spammer" plugin for a fast method to get rid of the human spammers that do sign up.
No doubt, thus why I removed recaptcha.
(2012-03-30, 03:40 PM)kpmedia Wrote: [ -> ]I've yet to see it block a valid human, after using it for 3+ years.

That is because it blocks said human from signing up so they exit your forum.

(2012-03-30, 04:21 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I can guarantee you that more spam is done by hand and nothing but good moderation will prevent it. Seems I add custom plugins to stop the bot spam but then I get new spam that just barely passes my new filters. I know it's human spam. I'm convinced now.

You can stop bot spam but that's not always the problem anymore. There are rooms of humans in India sitting there spamming forums.

Most spam is definitely not done by hand. It may be in your case (and that is a big maybe) but most new forums get immediately targeted by bots.
I said MORE spam not MOST. Probably should have phrased it "more and more spam".

I already stop the majority of bot spam effectively. But spam gets through because it's not all bot spam.
This mod http://mods.mybb.com/view/registration-s...y-question is highly recommended Smile
Less query, does not harm your forum performance since only using during registration process.
More like 99%. I had a bot get on today and advertise a Craigslist Sex business.
I use

- Registration question
- Javascript bot protection
- Stop Forum Spam

And went from 20 fake users to 0. I haven't seen 1 single bot for almost a year!
The human spammers are the problem - What I am looking for is a Plugin that will counter banned words and spam words.

If these words are used then the spammer is sent to an error page. This also allows genuine members to stay on the board and amend a post that may use these words.

The ban words would appear on the error page so a genuine member would know what to counter their post with.

If an IP constantly tries to use these words they get a permaban.

Constant IP changing would also be blocked - If there is a Plugin that does this then please let me know. if someone is willing to take it on then I think this would be the one plugin that could put spammers on the back foot at least for a while.
I believe that Spamalyser does that.
hi,

I am also using reg security questions and recaptcha and its working great. I feel the key to success in this is that we should use our own set of questions and it does the trick. and also keep on changing the questions, the plugin clearly tells you in admin which ques are being answered in what ratios, this gives you much better control.

thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5