MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The JRPG Club: Game Reviews and Discussion for Japanese Learners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
[Image: pokemon__bulbasaur_pikachu_charmander_sq...80x640.jpg]

That's just a random wallpaper site, which I'm sure is just redistributing someone else's work.
Going to see if I can get my girlfriend to join, she is learning Japanese. This is a really great idea. Kudos.
Thanks brad! I hope she does. Smile If she's just started, you can point her to the beginners guide, which I just finished today. By the way, I'd like to adapt Galism's (or was it Retromantique's) "cosmetics from Canada" thing for our site; I'll be sending people gaming magazines instead. I hope that's okay.

Omar, I found the source of that picture. And really, even if you're a Pokemon fan about to start your own website, I really don't see any problem with you joining now. There's really nothing for you to steal; we keep things simple and focus on discussion.Big Grin
I hope you'll ask for permission to use those pics now that you found the source.
I will get on that right now. (The email has been sent.)
Good to see JRPG Club getting a name for itself. Smile
A massive improvement from a month ago. Stick with it man Smile.
(2012-07-13, 01:44 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]A massive improvement from a month ago. Stick with it man Smile.

I made my FIRST plugin for the site! Smile
I wasn't planning on posting an update again until something really exciting was going on, but I think this is worth sharing with the community:

[Image: iNZYn.png]

Today, on my birthday, July (the seventh month) 20th, we hit 720 posts. It may seem like a small number, but I'm incredibly proud of the progress the site has made (and in such a limited niche). Less than a month ago, I was still talking to myself mostly.

That's not really worth spending one of my precious bumps, however, so while I've got your attention, I might as well talk a little bit about what's been going on at The JRPG Club.
  • We've ironed out pretty much every bug in the new theme, and getting a lot of compliments from new and returning users about it.
  • The gaming forums are being used a little differently now. For a while, I was debating whether I should combine the two that we have. I eventually decided to move all game/series-specific topics to one location (regardless of genre) and allow the other to be used for general topics like "I'm looking for a game recommendation" or "What do you think about this article on JRPGs?" Think of their purposes now as "on-topic gaming" and "off-topic gaming."
  • There are finally some DLC codes in the giveaway contest for games people might actually play (the last batch of codes included gems like "DLC for hostess club majong game on the PSP").
  • I stole the lead from Shannon in Fantasy Sumo. Toungue

Overall, other people in our "field" (Japanese immersion learners) are starting to take notice of the site, so we're getting lots of hits on Twitter that are bringing in new members. We've got a small but active user base and the foundations of a great community are in place. If you are learning Japanese, or love Japanese games, please check us out! Cool And of course I'm always willing to listen to feedback! よろしく!
I like it a lot.

Things worthy of mention (imo)

- The pages are cohesive, you have consistency of style across the home page and community page, reviews and summaries.
- the header is great - I like the pixel art style you are using - might as flaunt those old style images.
- I like the category header on the forum index and the postbits are neat and uncluttered

What I might change:
The home page content really does look very similar to the reviews page which is right next to it - it is the same content from the reviews and summary pages consolidated. Given that you have the latest sidebar that also gives links to those two categories I think the home page is maybe underused and you need to look again at what is on that page. Maybe (horror) make the centre panel static HTML and add some text/images/explanation about some of the key forum areas that are not in the header pages?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6